Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 19-08-2005 , 10:28 PM

I'm faster than lightning!

Ignore that cheesy line from Virtua Fighter, because actually I need help with maya lightning. I have this high poly insect character that has two antennae on it's head. I want to have a lightning bolt go across them, but since the antennae are attached to the mesh and thus are the same object, I can't add a lightning bolt. How can I solve my problem?

I tried adding two seperate cubes and then adding the effect, but I wanted them to follow along with my model when I animate it. However if I tried to group or combine the blocks with the model, the lightning detached from one block but stayed on the other, obviously needing to connect.

Is there anyway I can have one mesh and have the lightning possibly be connected to different faces, edges, or vertices on that same mesh?

Please help.

# 2 20-08-2005 , 05:59 AM
Subscriber
No, it needs to be two separate objects. Recommend using a work-around... create locators where you want the terminators of the lightning to be. Parent the locators to the antennae. Create the lightning between the two locators.

Attached Thumbnails

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."