Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 22-08-2005 , 05:03 AM

guns?? why so many???

does anyone in this forum model anything other than guns, i guess there's just a lot gamers out there. I have not interest in guns and wonndered if anyone else that uses this site is more interested in developing interesting characters for none game use, ie short films or special effects???????????????????????????:eeek2:

Last edited by rachelramjet; 22-08-2005 at 05:06 AM.
# 2 22-08-2005 , 07:52 AM
Subscriber
Yes, I think just about everybody here models other things as well. It's just that guns can be quite difficult to model well (at least for me), and there are challenges with making the textures.

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 3 22-08-2005 , 09:25 AM
Subscriber
I'm not positive, but I'd guess the most prevelant modeling is humans (or something approxiamating a human). I've seen a fair bit of cars and guitars as well. Sounds like you may be exaggerating the amount of gun models floating around. Often it's the things we don't want to see that we notice the most. Besides, if all that was here were guns than the forum would have very limited use as it would service a niche population. Now if you're at the military meshes site, I'd expect a lot more firearms. If you still honestly feel that there are only guns here, then be a trend setter at post your own non-gun models.
Happy modeling.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 4 22-08-2005 , 11:43 AM
Subscriber

dont knock them

yeah i've modeled a few. one their quite easy to model and . two if u want a job in the industry its a good thing to know how to as for games there a must and also come in hany in films. so u neva know wen u might need the knowledge. i find guitars are a good thing to model as the are hade of many shapes and have curves which r helpful skill u learn an u can apply them to other models

# 5 22-08-2005 , 12:13 PM
Subscriber
"guns?? why so many??? " erm, who cares? either they want to model a gun because they feel like it and they want to, or they need to for a job or because they want to see if they can do as good or better job than the gun they just saw on some site. either way, any model you create is good experience.

"guns?? why so many???", thats like saying why do artists draw so many flowers.

anyway, maybe theres so many guns cos they are all crazy trigger happy loons! :p

# 6 22-08-2005 , 06:10 PM
Sorry if i upset anyone with my rant about guns but i opened up several posts in a row which where all guns and i thought that it was a shame that so much talent was going into such a narrow subject matter.

Yes i understand that everyone wants a job and that guns are a fact of life but employers must see a hundred guns a day and wouldn't your show reel be much more appealling if it had more diverse material.

Well thank you for everyones feedback and i'll stop ranting nowuser added image

# 7 23-08-2005 , 09:11 AM
Subscriber
yeah, you right, a show real with a bunch of guns might not be entertaining, but for new people its a good way to develop skills user added image

# 8 23-08-2005 , 10:53 AM
It's funny that you say that because I did start out by making guns! user added image ...I still make some but always try to add little that I learned earlier in the day to it and some original stuff comes out!.

Co-Creator of Infernus Creations formerly known as Elite Unit 5.
# 9 23-08-2005 , 06:52 PM
maybe i am just coming at from a different angle, i first had a taste of modeling as part of an architecture course so my first models where houses and and household goods, then i took a character visualisation course, so so far i have had no need for guns but i am sure some time soon i will have to eat my words and start seeking advise about texturing guns.

Thanks everyone for some cool feedbackuser added image

# 10 23-08-2005 , 09:28 PM
Subscriber
my first model was a train (old style train)

# 11 26-08-2005 , 12:01 AM
I started out UV Texturing on a gun...

Someone asked me to.

(first model was a flashlight though)