Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 03-09-2005 , 09:24 PM
Subscriber
i used the old model and reshaped it using the ref...it was really hard but it turned out alright so far. Let me know what you think.

Attached Thumbnails

What I lack in skill I make up for with enthusiasm.
# 17 03-09-2005 , 09:25 PM
Subscriber
and a sideview

Attached Thumbnails

# 18 03-09-2005 , 09:27 PM
Subscriber
and smoothed

Attached Thumbnails

# 19 03-09-2005 , 10:09 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Bad Tertle

Okay Stop. Now apart from just using reference pics get yourself a mirror and have a good long look at your face. The best reference you can possible have I would say.

Just look at the cheeks for starters, they are way too far across, the mouth is too wide the forehead is too deformed etc.

Now I could go on about whats wrong with your model, but I wont, I feel you need to understand the form of the head and proportions and how everything sits. Here is a link to a great site called fineart.sk. The page I have given has hundreds of images to download for free on how to draw the human head, they are all worth downloading printing and reading, to give you an understanding of the head as a form in itself.

I am aware of what you are trying to achieve and its not an easy task, Ive been there and am still trying to improve my skills as well as giving others crit. I think as far as your mesh goes is pretty clean and you have enough polys in most of the right places to carry on with this model. Also concentrate on one thing at a time instead of getting the eyes, mouth, ear done al at once. Get the proportions right first then move on to the eyes or mouth, get that done and get some crit then keep going until the next bit.

Heres the link https://www.fineart.sk/index.php?cat=14

Best of luck and be patient with it.
Jay

# 20 04-09-2005 , 06:25 AM
Subscriber

update

Jay, thanks for the crit and the link...i skimmed a little and ill read more of it when i get the chance. I think what i really need is some basic art classes...maybe next semester. I tweaked my man a bit based on a sphere cut in half and i messed with the face a little...still nowhere near perfect but i think its a huge improvement. One of these days he will look spectacular! Think of him with some tribal red/blue paint all over his face. Oogashaka!!!

Attached Thumbnails

# 21 04-09-2005 , 06:26 AM
Subscriber
and a side

Attached Thumbnails

# 22 04-09-2005 , 12:54 PM
No offence, but the smoothed one looked like it was undergoing more then 20G's. The latest one is a lot better, though the face still looks a bit stretched.

Cheers, user added image
Matt, user added image

# 23 04-09-2005 , 02:49 PM
The most recent updates definately look better but still need some work. You might try using a lattice as a quick way to reign your shape in. The nose and mouth are still too wide. Also, if you look at it from the side persp; the entire head needs to be rotated about 10 degrees CW, and pulled back a bit. I hope that makes senseuser added image You may also want to start killing some of the tris while you still have a low res model.

Cheers,
Penguin

# 24 04-09-2005 , 07:00 PM
Subscriber
I realize that im a little premature with some of my posts...i wont update again until i get the face a bit better. Thanks for the crit penguin...what exactly is a lattice/how does it work? All ive used so far is split poly and pushed vertices around. If theres other poly methods, some input would be appreciated

# 25 05-09-2005 , 01:36 AM
Subscriber

latest version

i rotated the face slightly and pulled the face back a bit, fixed some of the tris, squished the face a bit, changed the nose and eyes a little. I want to know what people think of this ltest build...i know i need to spread the mesh out more, but i want input on the shape before i start adding more geometry.

Attached Thumbnails

# 26 05-09-2005 , 01:38 AM
Subscriber
and a side

Attached Thumbnails

# 27 05-09-2005 , 02:06 AM
its coming better but your topologi is bad. try to find tuts on the net about how to model a head.

# 28 05-09-2005 , 07:11 AM
Subscriber

OMG!!!!

I worked on my edgelooping for a while while looking at tutorials for a basic topology(is that the word?) guideline, when i read a blurb about using Make Live to help model an eyeball. I applied make live to my old model and changing the topology was a piece of cake while still staying on the surface of the copy. Isnt maya wonderful? Heres a pic of how it turned out...the lines are a little too wavy, but ill fix that in the morning.

Attached Thumbnails

# 29 05-09-2005 , 07:58 AM
Subscriber

on hold

i wont be working as vigorously on this guy because im entering the challenge. Based on my work here you can guess that i dont stand a chance...but im gonna do it anyways for fun.
Check out my Challenge WIP
BTW...heres a crappy little concept of whats to come for my man here...stay tuned
the things in his hair and ears are bones

Attached Thumbnails

# 30 05-09-2005 , 02:42 PM
Hey tertle,
Sorry it took me so long to respond. The fixes look good by the way. Lattices can be found under the animation menu set. It is basically like a scafolding around you model. By pulling points on the scafolding you can make quick easy modifications to the basic shape of your model without having to pull vertices. Here's a roadmap.
Cheers,
Penguin

Attached Thumbnails