Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 05-10-2005 , 11:48 AM
The Maya Mountain
yeah they're saying they'll be continuing both products, which seems strange to me... that's like Microsoft buying Sony, but continuing with both Xbox and Playstation... doesn't make a lot of sense.

# 17 05-10-2005 , 12:22 PM
Subscriber
good move or bad..
alias could have generated 180 mil in ~ 1.5 yrs

why would they sell when they have just been bough from A|W-SGI
------

- on the plus side, there will be one really mainstream and popular package, so no need to learn 2

maybe maya will finally get better poly tools,

all and all, only good can come out of this.

only time will telluser added image

# 18 05-10-2005 , 04:47 PM
For my 2 cents, they might move one product down a specific line to accentuate its capabilities and then move the other down another to create two sepperate products that specalise in a different area but overlap in the total application??

Thats just my view on it.

# 19 05-10-2005 , 05:00 PM
Location: Where do u think I am right now? Alright, I'll tell y' all... I'm at Gnomon Workshop and Highend3d sites...Hehehehe...just kiddin':)!!!!Oh, I'm not a ego member anymore? Cool!!!! I'm a Senior Member now!!!!
user added image AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! user added image

*edited by mod*, enough's enough user added image

That's weirdo...

Anyone here plays Tibia?

Add me to your MSN list

Tibia is the best MMORPG that i've ever seen...xD
# 20 05-10-2005 , 05:04 PM
Subscriber
Yes me too.

quite disappointed> I switched to maya from max myself and did it mainly because of the UI is just so much better in maya...my humble opinion anyways..

the main reason being, maya is a complete package and max..well what I hated about max was...oh I want to a certain effect..oh what do you know I can't...I need a plugin, hmm lovely there goes another couple hundred bucks...

At least with maya I didn't have to worry about that...sure for some stuff you had to write some code, but that's better than forking out more cash for a plugin...

And for me I found the poly tools in maya equalled or rivaled max. can anyone say the MJpoly tool script, all the edge loops, edge spilts you want and more.

I'm ranting can you tell...very sad news indeed and just when maya was making huge market strides in the game industry.

Think Twice Split Poly Once
# 21 05-10-2005 , 05:05 PM
And the point is Total rookie???

# 22 05-10-2005 , 05:17 PM
Subscriber
I guess we can all look forward to seeing the totally useless teapot primitive...:headbang:

# 23 05-10-2005 , 10:53 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

NOT THE TEAPOT AGAIN!!!!

......or worse...

The Dancing Wire Baby by Meats....

Kill me now...

This is like Apple buying MS but still "selling both".

Total compeditors..... this should be illegal, as a pure anti-trust issue alone....

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 24 06-10-2005 , 01:05 AM
Subscriber
u all sound like u are losing money with this merger?
which i really doubt...

Last edited by vladimirjp; 06-10-2005 at 01:07 AM.
# 25 06-10-2005 , 06:53 AM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
yeah they're saying they'll be continuing both products, which seems strange to me... that's like Microsoft buying Sony, but continuing with both Xbox and Playstation... doesn't make a lot of sense.

It has happened before...

1) Give false sense of choice (though most companies who do that, like RCA vs GE, are secret of their purchase)

2) Autodesk just wants profits from both sides of the Aliasuser added imageiscreet war.

3) They'll merge the two and we'll be glad Maya 6 (and aparently 7) was good while we can get it.

# 26 06-10-2005 , 12:11 PM
Subscriber
ROFL,

dancing wire baby, that's a good one..

# 27 07-10-2005 , 11:07 AM
someone was posting this at work too seems profits last year were Alias- $80million Autodesk- $1.2billion ... it's an odd merger. But if you guys think that major vfx houses will allow maya to go away then I think you'd be mistaken... there would be a major outcry!! user added image Even if it did go away just keep your copy of maya that you own now and the community will continue it through the maya API and mel that's why maya is so great because you can make it do what you want (with a little black magic!) I highly doubt we're going to be seeing max being used in place of maya for film work user added image

user added image
A

Ps. It does suck but a hybrid program would be interesting... at least then we would have anymore "how do I render wireframe in maya" questions...

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 28 07-10-2005 , 12:20 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
But if you guys think that major vfx houses will allow maya to go away then I think you'd be mistaken... there would be a major outcry!!

Honestly: I don't believe that Autodesk - in all it's corporate arrogance - would give a wet fart about a complaining Maya customer base. Just look at what they - out of the blue - did to Edit.

Subdivide and conquer!

Free your mind, and your ass will follow!
# 29 07-10-2005 , 04:56 PM
So autodesk will get Maya,well if they will keep the same team from Alias and invest even more money in development of Maya only good can come out of that!

But I really cant see how 3Ds Max is fits here???
Maybe they'll shut down max...

I just hope our Maya wont end up bad, if it does...I think we'll be looking SoftImage's return on leadin place.

Maya and Max are 2 deifrent concepts of 3D packages!!!

Yep...I think Autodesk is trying to be worlds leader in CG so I wouldnt be suprised if they are planing the same thing with Adobe.

# 30 07-10-2005 , 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
someone was posting this at work too seems profits last year were Alias- $80million Autodesk- $1.2billion ... it's an odd merger. But if you guys think that major vfx houses will allow maya to go away then I think you'd be mistaken... there would be a major outcry!! user added image Even if it did go away just keep your copy of maya that you own now and the community will continue it through the maya API and mel that's why maya is so great because you can make it do what you want (with a little black magic!) I highly doubt we're going to be seeing max being used in place of maya for film work user added image

user added image
A

Ps. It does suck but a hybrid program would be interesting... at least then we would have anymore "how do I render wireframe in maya" questions...

Well said!!! MEL and API wont let Maya down but this reminds me on Windows and UNIX/LINUX contraversy!!!