Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 16-10-2005 , 11:59 AM

Male Model Hunter

Thought I'd post this school project here to get some feedback on various aspects. Feel free to comment anything.

He is a hunter of some kind, probably a bounty hunter, he has strong arms for gripping and a stable set of legs, good for long walks in search for his prey.

To get a non-human side of it I have made his hands abnormal large, and the legs "too short" if you compare to "normal" human being.

Update! Started making some clothes for him, just materials on yet, but I think I will go with the same colors later on when I texture them, and yes he will get a buckle for the belt =)

Here are a shot on the bootstraps he wears
user added image

Here are some detailsshots on the coatstraps I've been working on lately
user added image

Made some changes to the head, thought it would be more fitting to have something that didn't resemble a human too much, so some minor defects would do it I thought, well, you probably see the changes.
user added image

user added image

Update! a simple colormap for the body as well, will work more on it later
user added image

user added image

user added image

Old Heads

Old Feet and hands

Old Wire

<font="old english">...pastuhoff...</font>

Last edited by Pastuhoff; 01-11-2005 at 11:24 AM.
# 2 16-10-2005 , 01:14 PM
Subscriber
Looks really good. The only thing that I could notice is that his hands are not proportional with the rest of his body and his calf muscles seem to bulge a little bit too much. I don't know if this was intended on your part or not, but I just thought that I would mention it.

Anyways, looks like good work (but I'm not one to judge since I am still crappy at Maya user added image )

# 3 16-10-2005 , 01:25 PM
Subscriber
i think its intended to be cartooney seeing as he only has 3 fingersuser added image

# 4 16-10-2005 , 01:39 PM

hi thanks for the replies.

the hands are meant to be larger than they normally would be, a little cartoonish if you like =) as with the 3 fingers and 4 toes, but yeah, he is supposed to have large hands and calfs. A little fantasy-looking, it will show when the clothes and accessories comes on =)

# 5 16-10-2005 , 02:16 PM
Subscriber

Re: ...

Originally posted by Pastuhoff
hi thanks for the replies.

the hands are meant to be larger than they normally would be, a little cartoonish if you like =) as with the 3 fingers and 4 toes, but yeah, he is supposed to have large hands and calfs. A little fantasy-looking, it will show when the clothes and accessories comes on =)

Cool, thought there had to be a reason for it user added image What's funny is that I noticed the calf muscles but didn't notice the 3 fingers and 4 toes, lol.

# 6 16-10-2005 , 03:59 PM
Very stylish, I like it a lot. Nice mesh as well. Only crit I have is that maybe the elbow joint is very slim. It looks squashed a bit. Can't wait to see the weapons and stuff though!
Cheers,
Penguin.

# 7 16-10-2005 , 04:15 PM
cool model,love his style.can wait till next update.

user added image

# 8 16-10-2005 , 10:38 PM
His legs are a bit too short. That is, if you're trying to make it perfectly proportionate. It looks cool how it is, though.

# 9 17-10-2005 , 07:09 AM
hey rupert, thx for the reply

I will say this to all who is watching =) he is not supposed to be perfectly proportional, he has some realistic features, and some that is not =) think of him more as a fantasy character..

... so that's why his legs are a bit too short, his hands are too big, his head is a bit misformed and so on, but everything that u see now is how it's supposed to be proportionally =)
but there may be some remodelling, since he's still in the WIP process, but feel very free to keep on comment anything since it may lead to a better model for me =)

cheers

# 10 17-10-2005 , 08:01 PM
good model guy!! BUt the hand is very big...
sorry for my english...user added image

# 11 17-10-2005 , 08:18 PM
I dont understand why people don't even bother to read the posts, ITS NOT A HUMAN!!

Very nice modelling I must say, my fellow Swede.

# 12 17-10-2005 , 09:10 PM
The hands look cool but the feet look awsome! Nice work, dude.

Dave

# 13 18-10-2005 , 11:49 AM
hehe, yes indeed, read the post before pointing something out =) thx djblazer for reminding the mob about it =)

and thx to everybody who has something to say about my model, feels great to hear that you like him =)

i'm doing the UV-layout right now, so hopefully there will some textures soon, and thereafter clothes and equipment.
and finally there will be rigging and some animation.

cheers!

# 14 23-10-2005 , 12:17 PM
added a pic on some texture on the head, for now it's just going to be a simple colormap because we have to be done with it tomorrow =) so the body colormap should be up later today, c&c welcome, but remember the map is supposed to be really simple user added image

# 15 23-10-2005 , 11:39 PM
Subscriber
the model looks fantastic ! Nice flowing geometry.
Are the hands a little large though? user added image jk

Nick

There's nothing normal about normals. In FACT i think the are abnormal.