Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 03-12-2005 , 08:36 PM
Subscriber

Difficulties

Hello,

I follow some of the tutorials that are on this site of wich I think I learned a lot.
I was trying to practice the new knowledge into a model of a candle wich i would like to let it burn.

However I must be doing something wrong during the modeling because a portion of the model transforms a bit strang when converting the polygon model to subdivisions (see the attached images).

I'm sure I'm making some kind of a basic mistache but I don't know exactly what. Can someone give me some advice in this ?

Thanks in advance.

Willy

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-12-2005 , 08:37 PM
Subscriber

part 2

This is the polygon model :

Attached Images
# 3 04-12-2005 , 09:54 AM
dont know anything about subd's but I'd check to see if all the polygon edges are joined together around the problem area.

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 4 04-12-2005 , 10:15 AM
Subscriber
hmm im too much of a nob to know why not just smooth polys and keep away from sub'd's

# 5 06-12-2005 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber
This indeed looks like detatched edges/vertices.

Try dragging a selection square across a single poly vertice in the problematic area, and examine the channel editor.
You shouldn't be surprised if there is 2 or more vertices there, and not just the only one you expect.

-DX-