View Poll Results: Should I use modeling instead of displacement for my detailing
Yes, definitely 4 44.44%
No. You might want to consider modelling as much as you can 3 33.33%
What exactly are displacement maps? 1 11.11%
You've clearly didn't listen to your mother, because obviously you've gone blind. 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 22-04-2006 , 12:18 AM
Subscriber

BWA Dropship

I am making a dropship for my feature film Xeline (www.xelinethemovie.com), staring Brinke Stevens. While I want this to be somewhat of an omage to Aliens, I don't want to plagerize or be derrivative, so . . . instead of using an Apache like they did in Aliens (btw, I HIGHLY recommend K. Brown's Apache tut, which is what gave me my start, https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...html?tut_id=81), I've always been partial to the U.S. Coast Guard's HH-65-A Dolphin, because of its cleaner lines and I really love it's enclosed rear rotor.

1. I used the instructions from a model as a reference to get the basic body shape, using a polygonal box (from nose to tail).

2. To make sure I got the rear rotor right, I modelled the tail separately using a Torus, which I rotated 90 degrees and then pulled the outer poly's to make the flatter parts of the tail.

3. I then combined the two primatives using the combine command and then merged the verticies.

4. Next I made a smooth proxy as taught in the Apache tut.

5. Since I didn't want this to be an exact replica of an HH-64-A, I took the faces on the front side of the engine assembly, extruded and scaled them down slightly. Extruded and scaled them down slightly, and then extruded them back, to create an air scoop.

6. I then took the inside of the air scop, extruded it slightly, rotated it like I learned in the Apache tutorial, then extruded it one more time downward, so if you look at it from the front, it looks like a real air intake.

Anyway. This is what I have so far. I'll keep you posted. I plan to use what I learned in Kurt's Mech tutorial (https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...html?tut_id=89) to make the landing feet that drop ships all seem to have. I plan to rough out the rest of the shape but then use displacement maps to do most of the detailing to keep render times reasonable, as I'm working on a home PC and not a big render farm. Not only that, this thing is really going to book, so putting a lot of modelling detail into it is going to be lost anyway (or am I wrong about that)?

Lemme know what you think, but be gentle. This is only my second real adventure on my own.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by agentprovo; 22-04-2006 at 12:21 AM.
# 2 22-04-2006 , 04:13 PM
Subscriber

Update 04/22

Ok.

1. Did a series of extrudes on faces on the sides of the dropship to get those large air intakes that dropships always seem to have.

2. Then selected the vertices on the rear corners of the intake and scaled them inward to make more of a nozzle on the rear.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 24-04-2006 , 05:29 PM
Subscriber

Dropship update 4/24 Nacelles

I liked the shape of from the previous post, but . . . I decided that I didn't like having fixed port nacelles. So . . . I tried to use the separate command, but since I'd modelled this as sub-D to poly, Maya wouldn't let me detach the polys. I'm sure there's a way to do it, but as a newbie, I don't know how. Anyway. I'm tenacious if nothing else, so . . . I used the duplicate command to duplicate the right half of the ship and then I deleted all the polys that weren't part of the nacelle (mainly the fusilage).

1. With the shell of the Nacelle, I used the Poly Append tool to close the object.

2. I created a smooth proxy of the nacelle so I could work on the low poly version.

3. I used the handly vertex pulling to give the Nacelle a more interesting shape (mainly a huge exhaust port in the rear and a smaller air intake in front, with the exhaust port being round and the intake being rectangular).

4. Shaping was done by simply using the cut faces tool to make additional edges near to parts of the model I wanted to be squared off.

5. The vent was the easiest part of all. Not sure why vents ever gave me problems in Max. I simply created a grid that was 30 X 3 SDs. Selected the verticies on the middle two edges and used the scale tool to pull them in opposite directions to make a frame. Then I just extruded every other middle face (first a little, then a lot), selected the vertices on the new geometry and used the move tool to pull them downward so they looked like vents. I did not smooth this because I wanted a more squared off look.

6. I scaled the vent and moved it into the position of the air intake, scaled it to fit, selected the nacelle and the vent and combined them.

Here's what I have.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 24-04-2006 , 07:41 PM
Subscriber

Preliminary renders 4/24

Here are some test renders I did on the smooth proxy with the nacelles abutting, but not yet attached. Pretty pleased with it, so I'll be moving on to the windshield. After that, I'll probably do some displacement map tests for detailing. Then, if I'm satisfied with that, I'll add the minigun, missles, and landing gear. I already have the missles and landing gear modelled and hidden on another layer. So . . . I'll just have to do the minigun.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 26-04-2006 , 05:08 PM
Subscriber

Missle Launcher

1. I extruded two faces on the side to make a missle pod and a minigun pod.

2. For the missle launcher, I extruded faces back in the world axis using the 3 step method (i.e., little with scale, little with scale, then a lot). This created the master tube.

3. I created a very small Torus (see channel box). I will clone this to create the armature that holds the missles in place

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 26-04-2006 , 06:02 PM
Subscriber

With missles

Almost done! I put the missles in to see how it looks and gave it a test render. Here it is. Now all I have to do is to model the miniguns and put a cargo door/ramp in the belly of the ship. The remaining detail I'll do with displacement maps unless someone thinks that's a bad idea.

Attached Thumbnails