Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 06-11-2006 , 12:46 AM
yeah, I tried extruding from the head on one of my first attempts and it was not pretty. So much work for something that is basically just decoration! This time I am trying the ear from Stop Staring - he starts with a nurb circle which he flattens, shapes and then kind of cuts up and folds over. It seems to work well and I think stop staring is a pretty good book.

Thanks for the good words. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your lion and your other project.user added image

# 17 29-11-2006 , 01:31 AM
Maybe you could create a seperate poly ear and merge the vertices to get it on the head?
I might advise a boolean, but that might crap up the geometry.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 18 29-11-2006 , 01:38 AM
Thanks echo red. user added image

I actually finished the ear a couple of weeks ago - I made it seperately and then attached it - check out the last picture.

Ha ha - a boolean ear?! Is that even possible? yeah, I've heard bad things about booleans, so I tend to stay away from them.

unfortunately this project and everything else is on hold at the moment, as my laptop died on me a few days ago and I had to send it back to the manufacturer. :angery: I am just hoping I don't lose everything.

# 19 01-12-2006 , 07:54 PM
Make sure you back up yer files next time.
And get a super huge warranty.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 20 01-12-2006 , 08:26 PM
haha - yeah - good advice, though I only had the thing for four months so wasn't expecting it to pack up on me so soon.

# 21 01-12-2006 , 10:40 PM
She seems a little on the short and chunky side to me... I think her legs seem too short to me, and she seems sorta "wide" in the hip and stomache region as well. Unless it is just your pref. :p

~CGPMaya84 (also DragonTU84 from SimplyPhotoshop and CPAnimate84 from SimplyMax)
# 22 01-12-2006 , 10:44 PM

Originally posted by CGPMaya84
She seems a little on the short and chunky side to me... I think her legs seem too short to me, and she seems sorta "wide" in the hip and stomache region as well. Unless it is just your pref. :p

compared to what?

# 23 01-12-2006 , 10:58 PM
Compared to most female 3D models I have seen. It just is odd to see this in comparison to the rest of the models I have seen before. Yet I mean the proportions are not incorrect. I have seen shorter, slightly stockier women before like that in real life, just not in a model before. :p I guess I am just accustomed to the thinner, long-legged models most artists do. user added image Unfortunately that's part of the U.S.'s messed-up culture though. :shakehead It is actually interesting for me to see a model like this for once. user added image I just didn't know what you were going for, that's all. Most artists I have seen doing a realistic female model tend to go for the stereotypical "tall, beautiful babe with long thin legs and implanted boobs." user added image

Yet so far it looks great! Keep up the GREAT work bud! user added image

~CGPMaya84 (also DragonTU84 from SimplyPhotoshop and CPAnimate84 from SimplyMax)
# 24 01-12-2006 , 11:04 PM
thanks CGPMaya84user added image

I agree with everything that you said. That's why I wanted to make a model that was different from the stereotype.
user added image

# 25 01-12-2006 , 11:09 PM
Are you going to do anything with her? I mean are you going to make her a character for anything, put her in an animation or into a scene, or maybe clothe her? Or are you just keep her as a nude model? Just curious if you have anything else in mind for this model. user added image

Looking forward to more updates! user added image

# 26 01-12-2006 , 11:15 PM
I did have an idea for this character (clothing is planned user added image ), but unfortunately it's on hold due to laptop problems. Hopefully if I don't lose the project during the repair I'll have some updates in a few weeks or so.

# 27 04-12-2006 , 08:41 AM
Subscriber
looks good Arran, defintely work on the edge loops and try getting 4 sided faces. There is a huge 5 sided face right above the eye that you should correct. I found that once you have the edge loops in place everything else become a matter of minor tweaking...So even more than focusing on the shape (for now), focus on getting the edge loops right. I also noticed that the feet have a huge star in the middle of them (more than 4 edges converging into 1 vertex), you should fix that.

Did you use references for this? I wish I was able to create something like this without references. Perhaps with time and more practice.

# 28 04-12-2006 , 06:58 PM
yeah - I am using some references of a girl from 3d.sk. I'm not fussed about getting an exact likeness, but I wanted to get the proportions right. To be honest minstrel, I would always try to use some form of reference. Creating something from scratch, without source material, seems like an unnecessary headache.

I have actually done quite a bit more to this - I rebuilt the foot using a stahlberg tutorial and attached the hands, but can't post the pictures at the moment. Getting the edge loops right is a pain - especially around the shoulder blades.

Although I have been trying to keep the geometry tidy, I have actually heard some people say that n-sided polygons aren't actually a problem if your mesh is not deforming.

user added image

# 29 04-12-2006 , 07:58 PM
Yeah arran your right, Stahlberg's one of them, and looking at the stuff he comes up with you cant really argue. also if you do a poly smooth it will generally get rid of the odd 5 sided face itself as its part of the algorithm to attempt to get all quads.

The only problem that you may have is if you go into sub'd's and render via mental ray as it dosent accept n sided or tri sided sub's and therefore wont render them, but agian this, I think, has been updated in the later versions of maya (i'm on maya 6.0, and I think it was an upgragde in maya 8.0 but not too sure)

As for topology theres lots of ways to go about it depending on the end result that your after, theres a great discussion thread on Cgtalk about this in the maya section, with lots of wire frames from different people showing their layout for body and head topology.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 30 04-12-2006 , 09:00 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Arran

Nice going so far. As for the ears, I'd recommend (In Future) to stick with extruding ears and from only 8 polys! Ive done it recently with a new head. Its real nice, I'll post up later for you.

So how are you going to do the hair LOL

Jay