Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 11-12-2006 , 11:42 PM

Thanks

Thanks for th input. I'm going to take your advice. I agree, I think the character needs more detail. I like the goggles idea.

I didn't really explain myself correctly. I'm working in Maya but I rendered using a .Tiff image sequence and imported the images into Flash to export as a Flash .swf. I've tried rendering out as an .avi from Maya but I keep getting these trails. like a flickering thing.

The jester was my first time I created a rig. All I know how to animate on his face is the eyes blinking, I'm starting on the facial rig next so I can make him speak.

Thanks a lot, this advice really helps out.

Oh, and I'm gonna make the Buddy character's feet wiggle when he's in the air. Thats a great idea!

Mark

# 17 12-12-2006 , 10:06 AM
oh don't render out as an avi (bad idea), i meant like... render out as a tga sequence (or whatever you prefer, just not jpg cause maya's jpg quality is cwap), and then use a compositing program such as after effects (or there are some free ones out there) to put the image sequence together as an avi...

Accept no substitutions.
# 18 12-12-2006 , 11:11 AM
To add to what NeoStrider has said, you can render the frames out as tga files, and them open the sequence in Quicktime Pro. Then, you can export it in many different formats.

I like Quicktime Pro 7. It's only $30, and it's loaded with some awesome features. I think it's a necessity.

Eric Tacti
3D Artist
# 19 13-12-2006 , 07:02 PM

Thanks

Man, you made my day! I wasted so much time trying to render out as an .avi.

Thanks for the info.

I'm creating this character for a maskot my company wants to use. I'm going to model a second version more like the professor from the movie 'Back to the Future'. ( crazy hair, black gloves and funny goggles).

Thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails
# 20 13-12-2006 , 07:11 PM
sorry if this crit is a bit late, but for me the nose isn't really working. that sort of soft mushy type of nose always kind of bothers me. I just feel like the underside of the nose should be better defined.

If you are happy with it though, pay no attention to me. user added image

I also agree, some pens and pencils in his pocket would really add a bit more level of detail.

By the way, really nice animations mate! good work! user added image

Last edited by arran; 13-12-2006 at 07:14 PM.
# 21 13-12-2006 , 07:13 PM
You know what... you make a good point, I'm gonna add a little more detail. I appreciate it!

# 22 19-12-2006 , 05:39 PM
Subscriber
hey mpicone, haha love the character youved created... i gotta agree with arran though that the nose isnt doing it for me abit aswell, it looks like a little hump user added image i think you should make me more obvious user added image but other than that, i love all of it... hopefully one day i will be created them like what you have done. keep up the good work,

also about the 3 little animation clips you have made, hahaha they look awesome, i really love the jester one lol.

cheers man, marlon

# 23 20-12-2006 , 03:26 PM

Thanks

Yea, a more real nose looks much better. let me tell you, modeling a nose is no simple task when doing it after the face is already modeled. I'll be practicing noses, for sure.

Thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 20-12-2006 , 03:53 PM
Subscriber
"let me tell you, modeling a nose is no simple task when doing it after the face is already modeled"

yeah i know, ived had it happen to me twice and i have a habit of doing the nose last for some reason :S

cheers,

# 25 20-12-2006 , 07:17 PM
Subscriber
Nose and pockets have made a big difference already mate, that guy has a lot of character. Pens in pockets and science goggles next? user added image

# 26 20-12-2006 , 07:25 PM
when arran said that the underside of the nose should be more defined i think he meant that there should be more of an actual underside, instead of just adding nostrils... perhaps like pushing the lip area in a little to give the nose a slight jutting out, or take part of the nose and lower it, but then again that's just what i interpreted it as...

but then again i might just need to see a side view *shrug*

Accept no substitutions.
# 27 21-12-2006 , 11:56 AM
Yeah, the nostrils look a bit big. I would adjust them a bit, and bring the tip of the nose down, maybe?

Eric Tacti
3D Artist