Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 11-01-2007 , 07:03 AM

Modelling crumbled paper

# 2 12-01-2007 , 05:06 AM
I've ran intothis issue, too. It turned out to be quite a pain. I tried many different techniques, and ended up just doing a Poly Sphere and sculpting it. It took too long, and it turned out to be a huge waste of geometry because of the amount of polys. But, if you don't mind that, then that's the easiest way I found.

Eric Tacti
3D Artist
# 3 12-01-2007 , 05:51 AM
Senior Software Developer
I would use a poly sphere and a displacement map...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 13-01-2007 , 02:49 AM

Originally posted by erictacti
I've ran intothis issue, too. It turned out to be quite a pain. I tried many different techniques, and ended up just doing a Poly Sphere and sculpting it. It took too long, and it turned out to be a huge waste of geometry because of the amount of polys. But, if you don't mind that, then that's the easiest way I found.

Yeah, I ended up doing something like that too, the result ended up OK, but probably with alot more geometry than it should.

I haven't learned displacement maps yet, I should probably spend some time with that after my current project...