Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 30-01-2007 , 04:40 PM
This image shows the inside of the west, it is hopefully a little more of the shape you suggest. The outside of the west doesn't reflect the inside all that well because I have tried to make room for technological gadgets inside the west itself. I don't agree that the shoulders need to be wider, as keeping them the way they are gives more room for moving the arms.

Attached Thumbnails

In the begining God created a whole lot of rigid bodies, and set some motion paths. He also set the lighting.
# 17 31-01-2007 , 02:48 PM
Uhhh... Why show the inside? It will never be seen.?.

I would like to see a shot with the arms down.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 18 31-01-2007 , 03:03 PM
There might actually be a couple of renders in the final setup that will show the inside of the armour.

I will post an image with the arms down later. As for now here is an update of the parts I have made so far.

Feel free to point out areas where you want a close up, or different angle.

Attached Thumbnails

In the begining God created a whole lot of rigid bodies, and set some motion paths. He also set the lighting.
# 19 31-01-2007 , 03:17 PM
Here is an image with the arms down.

Attached Thumbnails

# 20 31-01-2007 , 03:19 PM
Okay... Uhhh... again... I don't understand why you will need to see the inside of the armor - it's unnecessary.

A common practice among No0bs is to 'over model'. Use what I call the "Hollywood Method' of modeling - Only model what you're going to see!

In Hollywood, when they build sets for movies (houses, caves, interiors, etc...) they only build what will be seen on screen. Take a TV sitcom for instance. If you've ever seen a behind the scenes episode you'd notice that only the back and side walls exist. There is no cieling! Why? Because it will never bee seen on camera. (that and they need someplace to hang the lights).

Even if you were to show a shot of the armor empty you will only see the visible part of the back side of it. So why bother modeling the inside front of it?

Don't over model.

EDIT

You posted that last shot just as I posted this. user added image

Yeah, those shoulder parts are going to stick out too far. IMO, it looks weird.

Perhaps make them smaller or hinge them to hang down with the arms.

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 21 31-01-2007 , 06:41 PM
Subscriber
another division question (two in one day??) is that many divisions necessary for a non organic model?? for some reason i seem to remember one doesn't use divisions unless they need to, I mean its not a big thing but I seem to remember something like that. doesn't it increase render times or something (he says showing off his stupidity again!!)

take it easy and life will be easy
# 22 01-02-2007 , 08:59 AM
It's still an intermediate model. I'm thinking at the moment, and the divisions help my thinking, I will probably at some point fork this project into a high poly and a low poly model, at that point I'm also likely to clean up the divisions.

# 23 01-02-2007 , 09:32 AM
Poly placement comes with experiance, I wouldent say that i'm a good user of maya, more intermediate, but when I started I placed polys everywhere as I thought I needed the geo to get the details, where as with more modeling you get to know what you need etc etc.

Stick with it and you'll get there!

Just keep it up.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 24 01-02-2007 , 11:21 AM
Subscriber
wasn't a crit my friend, it really was a question user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 25 01-02-2007 , 11:30 AM
Acid44
looks like something from halo no crits yet exept at the beggining the colors were scary...user added image

# 26 01-02-2007 , 06:47 PM
Who's ZEROMANCER? user added image

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu