Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 29-01-2007 , 06:39 PM

Colleges?

Hey all,

I'm looking into undergraduate colleges in the US, and I thought I'd ask around here!
Does anyone know a college with good art and computer programs? I want to either major/minor or double major, but the tech colleges only have computer related courses, and the art colleges only have art courses (I want to take Computer programming and animation--programming is the one I'm having trouble finding).

Thanks everyone!

# 2 31-01-2007 , 09:48 AM
Unfortunately I cannot vouch for the programming bit you're looking for, but I'm currently going to the Academy of Art University in San Francisco, California, and they have quite a few departments.

Fine arts, Architecture & Interior Design, Fashion, Visual Effects, as well as a large Computer Animation area that dabbles in 3D art (Maya, Houdini, Studio Max, zBrush, and I think they'll be getting their hands on Mudbox soon...), as well as animation (both 3d and 2d, though 2d will move towards the fine arts section) and visual effects (compositing for movies, and 3d particle simulations).

Hell, as well as 3d animation courses, there have a Pixar Animation class as well; they only seem to take some of the top animators, who seem to be seniors or graduates (!!!). That class, however, focuses on creating character animations that would lead to one getting hired at Pixar (seeing as that is not only the name of the course, but also that it is taught by a Pixar animator).

However, I feel I must warn you; if you're going to come into a 3d character modeling major here, you will be required to take some foundations classes which include anatomy and figure drawing, which will be 2d charcoal-on-paper drawings.

Just this past fall semester (Sept 06 - Dec 06) I took a MEL (Maya Embedded Language) class here at the academy, and they have mentioned a Python class (which doesn't yet exist), but again, I don't feel this school has too much in the way of programming, which I gather from your post that that is what your are looking for.

When I finished high school, and decided to move into 3d modeling for games, I looked for colleges myself. There was both the Academy of Art University here in San Francisco, as well as the Art Institute of San Francisco.

What pushed me away from the AI was...mm...how should I say this...? Their online course descriptions for their 3d courses...didn't look promising. They looked less promising than those at the AoA, which was the major "push/pull" factor. The AI's website seemed to detail the need for more mathematics than hands-on using a program and building something, if you know what I mean.

Again, that's what pushed me away from the AI (and I hate math :p ), but you might want to look at that; maybe that is what you're looking for.

For the AoA:
www.academyart.edu

For the AI:
https://www.artinstitutes.edu/sanfrancisco/

Hope this helps ^.^

# 3 31-01-2007 , 06:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll certainly look into those!
You're right, though, I am looking for computer as well as art, and that's what I'm trying to find. I don't particularly like the AIs either--mostly because there are so many. Maybe that's superficial, but I don't think they would be as good because of that.

Again, thanks for the help! user added image
Cheers!

# 4 04-02-2007 , 04:21 AM
Well, if you do decide to come to the AoA, I'll be graduating next spring/summer, so I'll be able to hang out with ya for a year! user added image

# 5 04-02-2007 , 07:04 AM
Heh heh heh, well, actually I won't be a Senior until next year, so I think you'll be gone by then. user added image

# 6 04-02-2007 , 07:04 AM

sad

Carlo Gaudreault 11/12/06
Compte rendu d’atelier : Prise de note

L’atelier sur la prise de note s’est déroulé le 27 Novembre 2006, entre 15h et 16h, dans le local D3070 de La Cité collégiale. Les participants présents comportaient multiples élèves de divers programmes. Le professeur, Diane Tessier, a présentée des techniques de prise de note, ainsi que plusieurs bonnes idées pour réussir dans nos études.

Diane à débuté par poser la question : « Que trouvez-vous de difficile dans la prise de note? ». Les élèves ont répondus que de bien cerner l’essentiel et de prendre tous les éléments en même temps est compliqué. Sur ce, elle leurs ont proposés divers trucs pour les aider tels que :

- Se préparer des feuilles à l’avance, prêt pour prendre des notes.
- S’assoire près du professeur vu qu’il est le centre d’attention.
- Utiliser des abréviations pour sauver du temps.
- Ne pas trop s’occuper de la propreté mais plutôt du contenu.
- Ne pas recopier les notes plus tard, s’arranger que les notes prisent sont compréhensibles et bien structurés. Perte de temps.

Biens d’autres propositions d’aide ont été suggéré pour améliorer la prise de note des étudiants. En générale, Diane nous à tout simplement résumé les côtés utiles des notes et comment gagner du temps dans nos études. J’ai bien apprécier l’atelier puisque j’ai réalisé que ma technique n’était peut être pas la bonne.

# 7 06-02-2007 , 12:48 AM
Subscriber
The Universtiy of Colorado at Denver www.cudenver.edu has a good 3d program, that's where I'm going.

# 8 06-02-2007 , 01:37 AM
Subscriber
Wow, severinianthony;
I'm an A-level student in the UK and I looked at overseas training in 3D character animation and found that Academy Art seemed the best place. The fact that my dream is to work for Pixar may have affected my decision when I saw the Pixar Animation Class though! The only problem though is the price! I figured it would cost me at least £40,000 to do the BFA and have somewhere to live.
Trasendil, I'd recommend Academy Art though I've not been there. I've looked and asked about a lot of other places such as CalArts, but this seems the best place. I wish I could afford to go, so take your chance if you can!

# 9 06-02-2007 , 06:24 PM
Aye, it's pricey here...I think by the time I'll graduate, I'll have about $85,000-100,000 in debt to pay off...:headbang:

# 10 06-02-2007 , 07:36 PM
Subscriber
hey

have a look in the march edition of 3dworld, the supplement contains places to learn 3d/animation all over the world
UK, USA, EUROPE
ect

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 11 11-02-2007 , 08:52 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by severinianthony
Aye, it's pricey here...I think by the time I'll graduate, I'll have about $85,000-100,000 in debt to pay off...:headbang:

Lol at least you can take out a student loan. I don't qualify for one so I'd have to raise the money before I even go :'( And then after I finish, the only way I could stay is if I was to get employed pretty swiftly :'(