Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 05-02-2007 , 04:38 AM
this is looking really cool. The only bit i'm not sure about is the tail - I just think I prefer the smooth metal tail on the original toy at the moment. Other than that though - great stuff! The head will really make this.
user added image user added image

# 17 05-02-2007 , 05:08 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by arran
this is looking really cool. The only bit i'm not sure about is the tail - I just think I prefer the smooth metal tail on the original toy at the moment.

I know what your saying but my problem with the original is the fact it can`t move (in fact most of grimlock can`t - very badly designed but yet still one of my fav toys). I want the animation to have some nice movement to it and building toy perfect would make one very stiff animation.

I want the tail to swing abit and the old style does not allow for that. I might have another look at the shape/style of the new one - but there was a reason for the change.

If you look I did a simulare thing with the dino-arms (they took some planning let me tell you).

But thx for the crit anyways - always welcome

# 18 06-02-2007 , 01:29 AM
Subscriber
stuff jim-will-fix-it more like arran will :bow:

well arran i think you were right on the money with the old tail. it looks alot better.

I`m also happy because there were 4 detail grooves which i`m making deeper and will make the tail bend by there.

also here is a close up of the little dino arms as you cant see them very well in the other screen shot..

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

had a bad day so thats all the maya for 2day - head will have to wait till 2mo.

Also can any one point me in the right dirrection on a tutital on rigging robots as i have no idea how i`m going to rig this guy. don`t think the way i rig humans will work here.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 06-02-2007 at 01:37 AM.
# 19 06-02-2007 , 08:59 AM
19 year Veteran
Awsome work tweetytunes! user added image Rigging robots is fairly easy ( It's just parenting the geometry to the joints ) , rigging a transformer is a different story. You will have to rigg the transformarion. Major headache when you have alot of parts to move. Are you shure you want to do something like that?

# 20 06-02-2007 , 12:36 PM
Subscriber
Grimlock was a long time coming. A first I wanted to do Opt Prime, but everyone does that (even my old flat mate knocked one up) and I got the other dinobots of ebay (had lost all but grim) to build them in 3D about a year and a half ago.

If it just a case of parenting the parts to joint then rigging to transform cant be that hard - they got the toy to work !!!

# 21 06-02-2007 , 01:47 PM
I think getting the tail to move would be very hard. It would require a load of extra joints in the robot legs really (or quite a reworking of the back section), since it would be a bit odd to only have the very tip moving - everything behind the dino legs is part of the tail.

# 22 06-02-2007 , 02:32 PM
definately like the new tail and those dino arms are cool - everything is looking spot on.
user added image

I think you are right - I would stick close to the toy transformation and I don't think you will have too many problems - you just might want to fiddle with your joint placement to get everything moving correctly. Have you started to make any of the robot pieces yet?

# 23 06-02-2007 , 02:48 PM
Subscriber
yer I got the groin area built, but I want to get the dino head done first before making the rest as all the robot pieces fit inside the dino-shell.

saying that its only the robo head, hands and the upper part of the legs left to do after the dino head.

# 24 06-02-2007 , 10:23 PM
Subscriber
well placed the parts ruffly were the robot verson would be. parented some parts togeather just to see how the joints would work and stuff. noticed that the main legs are alittle short and the joint on the dinohead is too big.

user added image

user added image

user added image

also did this to visulize what he`ll look like with the other bits

user added image

# 25 09-02-2007 , 09:00 PM
Subscriber
well got the dino head done. need to remodel the neck peice alittle once the robo head is done as I`m having problems with that bit. Also part of the head need to be beveled (noticed after the renders), but i think it looks like the big guy ..user added image

anyone see anything wrong with it ???

user added image

user added image

# 26 09-02-2007 , 09:11 PM
the bottom jaw looks a little long - almost like it might stick out if you shut his mouth. Other than that, it's coming along nicely.

hey - you haven't given up on your cool medusa entry have you? after all the trouble you went to it would be a shame to let it go.

# 27 09-02-2007 , 09:18 PM
19 year Veteran
Might be me but it looks like the jaw is just a tiny bit too long. EDIT: arran you beat me to that commment Also, could you show a render from the front, the eyes positioning seems aqward.

Over all it's a stunning job! Grimlocks head should be a fun challenge to tackle. Transformer heads seem to be ( from what I have noticed on many attempts ) hard to match the likeness of. The head on my mech for this moths challenge has been the hardest part to tackle, and it's still not the perfect match that I wanted with the concept drawing.

# 28 09-02-2007 , 10:26 PM
Subscriber
user added image

user added image

OK side veiw and another shot of the mouth closed. hope they clear some thing up.

The medusa project is stuck at the zbrush stage as I`m trying to learn that at the mo (but this has been one hell of a distration) hoping for updates this weekend.

here are some quick screen grabs of some detail not shown yet in the renders.

user added image

user added image

# 29 10-02-2007 , 06:14 AM
Subscriber

AWESOME !

This is so awesome, great work here. I've been wanting to model Hot Rod for so long now but have neem unable to find good reference pics...I have the toy but it's not the look I wanna go for. Keep it up ! I can't wait to see this finished. Amazing work. !

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

# 30 10-02-2007 , 06:44 AM
Subscriber

Re: AWESOME !

Originally posted by Tim_T
This is so awesome, great work here. I've been wanting to model Hot Rod for so long now but have neem unable to find good reference pics...I have the toy but it's not the look I wanna go for. Keep it up ! I can't wait to see this finished. Amazing work. !

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

you`ll have problems finding cartoon ref pics for him as he was only ever in the movie. after that he was always rodumas Prime. Some of the newer comics had him in but I not seen them all. I would make the toy then tweak it to the loook you want. That way you`ll know it can work as a transformation (if you are planning to do so)

found some images 4 ya here link to pics

Last edited by tweetytunes; 10-02-2007 at 09:55 AM.