Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 11-02-2007 , 06:39 AM

A Modeling concept,Needs help!

Hi!
I'm new around here,the site seems fine,though i kinda hate the point system..:p
if you could like earn points in some other way than paying on it like a rich man,i mean we all aren't like bill gates that we can afford spending Euro/dollars on everything we see..
the prices quite high.. if you consider that non-us and other outsider people has to convert the currency and pay a bonus for tax conversion..
thats kinda bad.. :/
but i ain't here for complaining so lets get to the point.. ^^

i was starting to work with Maya 7.1 few days ago,i really cant figure how to handle the most,though i have some experience in 3d modeling around other softwares,like Swift3d..

i found that maya gets to be quite complex for newbies,but i convinced that with a little effort i can learn it..

so..

~i was thinking in try to make some modeling of a city,a future type one,i want it to be kinda like in the movie of resident evil 2002 movie,where its all filled with scattered cars,ruined buildings and foggy atmosphere.

my idea is to animate it that way,where we begin looking on an electronics store window,we see a tv showing some news..
then the camera rotates to the right and we see the town perspective view as it is a time when war made ghost towns around,so like in resident evil movie i want a city with no humans alive in it,but lots of traces of humanity existence is scattered through the city.

if to detail..

foggy monochrome place,colors are dim
the sky are Grey like/cloudy.
kinda bad weather,but no rain.
building are half destroyed,smashed or just plain seen around,it need to look a bit futuristic..
newspaper scatters the surface too.
and few flying vehicles is appearing but only 1 or 2 in the sky..
on roads and among the buildings cars and other human technology reminders are scattering the surface,but still no living creatures..
when the camera moves to the view of the town,we see something falls from the sky in the distance and then it lands on something very far away,and it massively explodes,appears to be an atom bomb.
everything shatters and stuff while a cloudy puff covers the camera,and we start flying up from the ground to the sky through the clouds and reaching the outer space view where we can see earth from outside.
this one part i want to make,can a team of modelers here help me with it?
or just step by step,video tutorial/image tutorial and explain me each thing?

thanks in advance to anyone who would help! its appreciated! :bow:

# 2 11-02-2007 , 07:58 PM
Subscriber
Watchoo talking 'bout Willis? :p

The prices aren't too high by any measure, you may be of insufficient financial backing, but that's another matter that need not be discussed.

Here's a link that your post immediately made me think of
Getting Started user added image user added image

What you really need to do is break down your concept into sub-parts. You've really got quite a few different elements present here, more than could be answered with 50 hours of video tutorials.

Here's a few bits and pieces that should help you on your way to becoming pro-extreme...

1) Damaged Buildings: Modelling a building + making it look busted up

2) Nuke Blast
Go to Windows->GeneralEditors->Visor. Now select the tab called Fluid Examples. Select the folder called Explosions and in it you'll find 4 different explosions, all already done for you. Assuming you've got the version of maya that includes fluid simulation.

3) Making newspaper sheets that aren't dead-flat(i.e semi-realistic) bit of tweaking still needed
Page Turn Animation
You'll just need to rig an animate it until you get the look you want, then just freeze the object in this position. Texture map it with a photo, scan or hand-draw image of a newspaper.

4) Car Modelling
Porsche GT3

Seriously man use Google, it'll tell you nearly anything you're intelligent enough to ask for. Round some parts a post like this would be called a spoon-feeding request. I'll not consider it that myself, just take it slow, jump 1 hurdle at a time and you should have this scene put together in under a year if you put your nose to the grind-stone and go,go,go.

Good luck, and hope you find what you're after.
-Simon.