Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 16-02-2007 , 01:37 PM

modeling question

I am still in the process of learning maya, have a question about maya...

so far i have learned how to model from polygons , create polygon tool , NURBS surface and ep curve

my question is which tool do i use to create things like human body and cars , things that have alot of curves.

i can create rigid objects like funiture by combining and sculpting polygons , but when i try modeling face with basic polygons i get very unrealistic and rough models

when i use NURBS surface i cant combine it with polygons and other NURBS surface , its like i feel that NURBS surface is lacking some functions that polygons offer. EP curve produces NURBS surface , am i wrong?

so issit possilbe to sculpt from a raw polygon shape ? pulling vertex and stuff

# 2 16-02-2007 , 03:28 PM
Subscriber

my question is which tool do i use to create things like human body and cars , things that have alot of curves.

It really depends on the particular job and very much so on personal preference. Some people only like to model with nurbs & subds, others only like to use polys and (I'm guessing) most people use a combination of the three, even on the same project at times.

when i use NURBS surface i cant combine it with polygons and other NURBS surface , its like i feel that NURBS surface is lacking some functions that polygons offer. EP curve produces NURBS surface , am i wrong?

Nope, that's correct. Polygons do have a little more to offer in some areas than nurbs do - HOWEVER, nurbs absolutely kick backside when it comes to making a nice smooth-flowing shape with smooth transitions in curvature, which is much harder to achieve in cases with polys.

so issit possilbe to sculpt from a raw polygon shape ? pulling vertex and stuff

It Certainly is. By making use of the split poly tool, extrude edge, extrude face, bevel, tools (amongst the others, obviously) you can create some amazing stuff. Much like anything - a huge amount of it comes down to experience, knowing how to tackle each individual aspect of a model/project. As an example, I'm less than useless at modelling cars, so far - I've just not done enough of it. But give me a person and I can make something that only half as many of you will laugh at, in next to no time.

As you'd know from the cartoon dog and basic human form tutes found on this site, it's not unusual to create the foundation or starting point of a character with nurbs and then convert it to polygons and add extra detail.

A really good tute worth doing is this one: Joan of Arc

Happy modelling..
-S.

# 3 16-02-2007 , 03:31 PM

yes

mostly has to do with prefrence but most modelers myself included use polys or atleast to start.exspecially human features such as the face and body.then you can convert it to a sub d.most common way to model a face(not the best)is box modeling.this one started out as a create polgon in the shape of the side of the face.

Attached Thumbnails

SWEET!