Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 17-02-2007 , 01:22 AM

question about skining

just have a question about skining

is the correct process : do a whole body skeleton and smooth bind as a whole to the model or issit to smooth bind individual body parts ( like arms ) then parent them

i keep trying around but i still cant solve the problem , when i move my arm more than a certain degree it comes out of the model , it looks like its detached from the body. and i suppose to union my body parts?

confused...

# 2 17-02-2007 , 07:00 AM
Subscriber
Woa! Slow down there partner.. 1 post is enough.

I've done very little on the matter, but generally I've only seen the body mady up of 2 parts - the head/neck and the rest. I'm guessing you can do this because there's not much movement between the head and the shoulders so the issue of seperation wont exist.

I have however seen on occasions the modeller has 'cheated' and left the arms & legs as seperate to the trunk, though in these cases the place of junction is always covered by some loose fitting clothes.

Have a look at FreakyLowPoly part 0 and you'll see what I mean about covering the joints with loose clothing.

I guess what you need to do all depends on how far the limbs pull apart from the body and whether or not the character is intender to have clothes there. To be honest, I'd reccomend that you make the body a single, continuous mesh. The experience gained from connecting all the parts and getting the edges to flow smoothly from one to another simply can't be discounted. - I wouldn't use booleans for that step, for what it's worth. Do a combine and then manually get everything to line up.

Just like Kurt does in the _free_ caroon-dog and basic-human-form tutes. They're both invaluble imho.

-S.

EDIT: Never ever heard of using multiple skeletons in one model. Everything I've seen has one skeleton made up of all the joints necessary to animate the char. So, that'd be no parenting of bits and pieces together, it would also mean binding the whole lot together in one fell swoop.

Last edited by enhzflep; 17-02-2007 at 07:03 AM.
# 3 17-02-2007 , 09:01 AM

practice like this

SWEET!

Last edited by colorado; 17-02-2007 at 09:03 AM.