Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 25-03-2007 , 10:59 PM
Very nice, I think you should make the belt a lot thinner. The real belt is as thinn as the coat itself.
Nice to see some progress from you user added image

# 17 25-03-2007 , 11:02 PM

Originally posted by Sgart
Nice to see some progress from you user added image

Aye, I know, I was "gone" all last week; it was spring break, and my school closed the computer labs, and thus I had no access to the internet. But I was working ^_^

Aye, as well as "thinning" out the belt, I need to reshape the head a little more, add some more divisions (poly count's still pretty low), and think of something to give it more of the needed steampunk-theme...

# 18 26-03-2007 , 06:06 AM
What you could do, is to give him a holster. Holster the Luger, Add a Gas pack on his back and give him a flame thrower. user added image

That way he would look pretty much as a german flame thrower infantry.

# 19 26-03-2007 , 11:02 PM
I'll definitely consider some of those things; it's still around 800-1,200 polys, and my class has a max limit of 3,000, so I can afford more geometry user added image

How are you getting along putting your fetus into the bind-pose? That's got to be quite a task...

# 20 26-03-2007 , 11:42 PM

Originally posted by severinianthony
I'll definitely consider some of those things; it's still around 800-1,200 polys, and my class has a max limit of 3,000, so I can afford more geometry user added image

How are you getting along putting your fetus into the bind-pose? That's got to be quite a task...

The Jesus-pose is finnished, and hands attached. Also gave him nipples. I have to procceed giving him feets. Though I think it got a little messed up When I went into Sub D. The Mask went softer than I wished for so I will have to tweak the edges a bit.

# 21 27-03-2007 , 04:12 PM
The Maya Mountain
looking pretty neat! To add some steampunk to it, you might give him some kinda mechanical, boiler-centric backpack feeding into his mask or gun or who knows what. Looking forward to it!

# 22 27-03-2007 , 04:22 PM
I definitely have to agree with both you (Mike) and Sgart; I was indeed falling away from the steampunk theme, and needed something to get back on track. I didn't know what to add, but I like the backpack/gasmask-feed ideas ^_^

# 23 27-03-2007 , 04:30 PM
Wireframe.

Tweaked geometry quite a bit; brought the "belt" closer to the body, got rid of the wide, feminine hips, scaled the arms, and got rid of quite a few un-needed divisions.

May be a bit too thin, though...

Attached Thumbnails

# 24 27-03-2007 , 04:31 PM
Luke: I am your father!

:lmao:

Ah, I need sleep...:p

Attached Thumbnails

# 25 27-03-2007 , 04:33 PM
Anyone have any idea why my render view is doing this (below)?

My geometry isn't hidden, has the default lambert applied to it, and it's normals are correct...but it doesn't show up. The vector renderer has the same results; I try a wireframe render, and it does it for the upper part of the body, but the lower section is completely missing...

Attached Thumbnails

# 26 27-03-2007 , 05:19 PM
Lifetime Member
if it is not hidden I would say it's almost certainly a normal problem, have you tried setting them to face and checking them ?

# 27 27-03-2007 , 05:27 PM
Edit Polygons -> Normals -> Set to Face?

No effect. >_<

Thanks anyway ^_^

# 28 27-03-2007 , 09:37 PM
you should still use the edit normals tool to see what way they are facing - i think if they are reversed than setting them to face won't help, though I might be wrong. also try opening your append to polygon tool and if there is a thick edge between the top and bottom half than you'll know the normals are facing the wrong direction.

by the way your model looks cool. user added image

# 29 28-03-2007 , 11:39 AM
Yay for oxygen tank :attn:

I'll give your suggestions a shot, arran; thanks ^_^

Attached Thumbnails

# 30 28-03-2007 , 11:46 AM
I hope you get the render issue figured out because I like your model.

Just a thought (hope it's not inappropriate): If someone's willing, perhaps you could send them your maya file so they can load it on their computer and see if they can tell what the problem is. I would, but I don't know enough yet.