Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 12-03-2007 , 02:37 AM

Helicopter - Hind

Well I just started working on a helicopter, its a model of a russian Hind. I made some changes mostly due to that I had some problems modelling the two "turbines". user added image

*Credits to the Soviet Union for making the helicopter. user added image

user added image

Reference picture

user added image

# 2 12-03-2007 , 04:51 AM
Hi

Nice start

Are you gona smooth or are you gona leave it to low poly?

"One day someone tells me that I was no one, no one is perfect, if God is perfect so I'm God" - No One
# 3 05-04-2007 , 10:18 AM
Sorry for not replying but I've been busy with schoolwork. user added image

Here is a rather large update. user added image

I just have to fix some minor issues then I think I'm ready to start texturing. user added image

user added image

user added image

# 4 06-04-2007 , 02:17 PM
Subscriber

some info

Aha, another Helicopter Fan user added image

you picked a rather challenging model. To make this thing look real it will take a hell of work.

If you want to shoot a closeup you have to bring in more definiton. I can't help it, the smoothed form, subD or Poly, looks to me a bit like a pregnant bubble bee instead of a heavely armed flying tank. (just kidding)

This thing scares you to death, i can tell ya. When i was in the Army, they told us the only way to bring it down is to shoot in the turbine inlets below the mainrotor. Believe me, i once met a hind in Berlin, when i was on border patrol, face to face from about 300m. Nobody will stand there and aim to the turbine inlets when this thing comes down on you, with an infernal noise and blazing guns. The maingun fires 4000 Rounds/min of 12,3mm hedp ammo that makes the place it aims the most unhealty on earth at that moment ^^

Nevertheless, it is a fantastic piece of tec, and i love it. Go on with it, want to see it finished.

Cheers
mac

..the Force is with me (sometimes)
# 5 06-04-2007 , 08:24 PM
Impressive work so far. Looking foward to seeing how it turns out in the end. Comparing the model to your reference, I'm thinking the rear wheels are a little thin (could just be the angle though).

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 6 07-04-2007 , 02:08 AM
Hehe, I'm making a child version of the original. user added image

Yeah I know, strange that you complain on that minor thing when there are alot of other parts that have the wrong size. user added image

# 7 07-04-2007 , 05:43 AM
That just shows how much of a ROOKIE I am (hehe). Wheels seem simple to me, just shape and your done but the body seems like there would be constant tweeking here and there as you add details, equipment, etc. I just assumed it would naturally change as you progress. I did notice it though...good comment anyway.

As a rookie, I only really feel confident commenting on minor things. I'm sure that will change over time though.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 8 07-04-2007 , 01:03 PM
Subscriber
Nice work man, aside from what's already been mentioned, theres just a couple of other things that badly need sorting before u go further. The front windscreen on the lower cockpit should be round (like the 2nd cockpit). Also the windows are generally looking a bit big to me?

I'm guessing you had trouble finding blueprint refs or something. But still, a cool looking model in low poly form user added image

# 9 08-04-2007 , 02:39 AM
Ah thanks for mentioning the front window, thats something I havent given any tought to. user added image I will try to make the windows smaller but its rather hard with my somewhat lacking modeling skills. user added image

# 10 08-04-2007 , 06:40 AM
Subscriber
No worries, I know how easy it is to make silly observational mistakes. As for the window corrections... do or do not... there is no 'try' user added image You'll feel better once you've done it!

# 11 08-04-2007 , 09:42 AM
Subscriber

don't worry

Hey,

your doing a great job for a rookie, no doubt. I am sure your modelling skills will improve quickly. As i said, you picked a really difficult model.

Don't worry to make some hard changes to your model, you've got it safed so try out how things come up.

And btw. there are many versions of the hind. The windows changed a lot during development. From the round "Vietnam style" to somehow flat forms when the technicans realized that the pilots were to exposed to gunfire through the bubble windows. You don't have to stick to one version, do you ? user added image

cheers
mac

..the Force is with me (sometimes)
# 12 08-04-2007 , 11:17 PM
Thanks for all the comments it helps alot. user added image

I added "wings" and some details, I also made the protective glass smaller (Thats why I removed the glass.)

I'm pleased with the results so far, the main piece seems alot larger now. Next up is the "minigun" and fixing some vertixes. user added image

user added image

# 13 09-04-2007 , 07:04 AM
Subscriber
looking great, I like the detail in the rotor
do you use a shader for that "Texture" look?

# 14 13-04-2007 , 03:47 PM
Hehe thanks user added image

Yeah the fan is just of a different colour.

Here is a update, added the wing "accessory" and the....thing? On the front part. I also added the windows and corrected some vertixes.

user added image

# 15 18-04-2007 , 09:02 PM
I've begun with the texturing part now user added image crits and comments are most welcome.

user added image