Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 76 25-04-2007 , 08:06 AM

Originally posted by gazzamataz
Don't wanna hijack your post Meredith but I am curious about smoothing...

Have a look at the image below. I have smoothed some of the model but it has rounded all of the edges (I knew it would), but if I ask it to keep hard edges it doesn't really smooth...

What do you do?

Hey gazzamataz, just thought i'd reply to your question - instead of smoothing the poly's; convert them to sub d's and crease the edges to how you need them. Then convert the sub d's back to polygons.

Just pm if you need more details.

Dave

Trainee Solicitor believe it or not

Portfolio - Click Here
# 77 26-04-2007 , 08:27 AM
Subscriber
I cannot see myself doing any more work to my plane just yet since I am in the middle of another big project which I am still rendering.

But I would very much love to finish off my Hurricane, Mr Ugly, Doggie and Eryops when I have the time...

Perhaps I should go on a Maya holiday :attn:

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 78 14-09-2007 , 07:31 PM
Banned

# 79 18-09-2007 , 08:58 PM
Subscriber
Nice work mate and great seeing it for sale on TurboSquid.

How did you render it anyway? HDRI? Ambient Occlusion? I know you used mental ray but I have never learnt how to do this.

My only criticism of this is the glass. It is way to 'squeaky' clean - grub it up a bit with some turbulence or a factual, especially around the frames.

Boy I should get around to finishing that Hurricane of mine...

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 80 18-09-2007 , 10:32 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Nice job thereuser added image
Btw i didn't know one can sell his models, especially not when the model is not of your one design.

# 81 18-09-2007 , 10:35 PM

Originally posted by mastone
Nice job thereuser added image
Btw i didn't know one can sell his models, especially not when the model is not of your one design.

Yeah you can, theres lots of models available on there. Also if you look in 3d world they generally give away some models that are of cars/planes/tanks etc that have a link to the website where you can buy more of the same.

Good work on that model, I would think that $140 is a bithigh compared to others on there.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 82 19-09-2007 , 02:35 PM
Acid44

Originally posted by meredith
Hey all.
Wow thanks acid, yep i thought it would be a shitty one aswell. But u learn soo much on ur own - was looking out for ur mclaren that u where modeling last year - except you stoped :angery:, was looking real good.

lol... i ended up getting too jumpy and now i have like 8 cars in the works plus random other things... aliens and such...

and that mclaren sucked... the new one i started is soo much betteruser added image