Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 21-05-2007 , 03:54 PM
Subscriber

ren dering problem

hi everyone, hope someone can help.

when i try to render my scene, the render stops about half way through and i get these m essages

an error has occured, rendering aborted
an exception has occured, rendering aborted
error: free memory is low, memory exception thrown

i cant render my scene and i dont know how to fix it, please help.

# 2 21-05-2007 , 04:00 PM
You've not got enough RAM memory to complete the render

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 21-05-2007 , 04:22 PM
Subscriber
how much RAM would you recomened having, ive got 1gb of ram at mo, should i go to 2?

# 4 21-05-2007 , 04:33 PM
Yeah or more, what is it that your rendering thats taking up 1 gig of ram.

You could always render in layers and then composite them in photoshop, that might be a work around untill you get mre RAM.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 21-05-2007 , 04:48 PM
Subscriber
i can render the original grey models fine, it seems to be all the texture files ive added from photoshop that messes it up.
i did read up on converting them to BOT files but didnt know how to or if i should.

# 6 22-05-2007 , 12:03 AM
Maybe your textures' resolution is too high. That could be taking up all the memory cause high resolution makes Maya work harder during rendering.

# 7 22-05-2007 , 01:28 PM
Senior Software Developer
I have a similar problem with Maya 8.5 and the bug is to do with MR. As far as I have read that issue is to do with your textures.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 8 25-05-2007 , 05:46 AM
Subscriber
ive read up a little more and tried the BOT, (block ordered textures) and it worked great, i can now render some highly detailed textures on my models.
worth a try for anyone else with similar problem.

# 9 30-05-2007 , 03:19 AM
There is a memory leak problem in maya 8.5.

I am guessing your problem has to do with page file space exceeding the size of your physical memory.

Here is a way to test it. ctrl-alt-delete to get task manager and then click the performance tab. You want to look at the page space being used and commit. As you are rendering you will probably see this value go up and up until it approaches your physical memory size and then the error will be thrown.

I found in maya 8.5 you can actually cause this by going into hardware render mode (keyboard 6) and then apply a file texture to a polygon mesh. Then open the 2d-placement node and make changes to the placement vector. With each change the amount of page space used goes up and up until the same error is thrown.

Now do the same experiement but this time do not be in hardware texturing mode, try shaded mode (keyboard 5). Now the page files size does not increase with changes to the 2d-placement node.

Not sure of the cause. A partial cure seems to be avoid working in hardware texturing mode.

To verify this was introduced with maya 8.5 I rolled back to maya 7 and the problem goes away. Re-installing maya 8.5 brings the problem back with it.

Last edited by ctbram; 30-05-2007 at 03:21 AM.