Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 91 07-07-2007 , 05:10 AM
Subscriber
Yeah go with the four arms m8. It doesn't have to make sense, only look good user added image Oh, and hide any uggly geometry and anatomy that may appear because of it in the back (now you know why there are so few topology shots of backs :p)

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 92 07-07-2007 , 05:20 AM
Thank you for all the replies, arran, THX1138, mtmckinley, t1ck135 and Rhetoric Camel. You've talked me into adding two more arms. I'll give it try and see how it turns out. I really do like the 4 arm concept, just didn't want the model to loose people's interest by being not structually sound. But, I do think it would look really cool if done right. I'll give it a shot.

I'm planning on modeling some more in a couple of days so I'll finish the wings and start stitching the other two arms on. I'll just duplicate the upper two arms and sew them on so I should be able to post a good progress shot that day.

Friday, the day after, I'll try and attach the ears and model the feet. Then I'll try modeling the clothes and accessories over the weekend. Next week I'll focus on tweaking, rigging, and painting weights. If all goes well, I can spend the rest of the time texturing and posing (I hope).

Thanks for all the help everyone...you all make Simply Maya a great place to be!!!

Thanks for refs RC!

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 93 07-07-2007 , 05:22 AM
Thanks AlphaFlyte! You're now one of the many voices who changed my mind about the 4 arms.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 94 07-07-2007 , 06:12 AM
Subscriber
no problem, glad I could help user added image

what I would do if I was you, just in case I would save the four armed one as a separate file because if it's not coming out the way you want it to, you still have the two armed as a back up. I do that with some of the things I model, I'll have 2 separate files and when I veer off in another direction I always have the original to go back to.

# 95 07-07-2007 , 04:52 PM
nice work perfecto user added image glad to see u still goin at it.

# 96 07-07-2007 , 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Perfecto
Thanks AlphaFlyte! You're now one of the many voices who changed my mind about the 4 arms.

I'm sure you can tell, but the ideas of two things have been quite a challenge for a while, to even the greatest of modelers:

1) Something with 4 arms

2) Something with 2 arms, and a set of wings

In nature, creatures have a ribcage, and their pectorals are connected to one of two things; arms (or legs), or wings. Arms on bipedals (or legs on quadrupeds), or wings, if you think about birds (chickens, etc...).

Obviously, this becomes an issue if you are going to throw a second set of arms on something.

One thing you might consider (draw it out for yourself on a piece of paper to visualize it, first) would be to have a second, "lesser" ribcage, below, under/inside of, and smaller than the usual one. Attached to this one would be the second set of pectorals.

Hang on, it gets worse...:p

Where/how you would get/place a deltoid and/or trapezius gets even trickier. Creating a second scapula is no challenge, but considering musculastructure, and attaching it to the secondary set of arms, is something to think about. You might have a "trapezius" that connects to the spine, just as our trapezius' attach to our upper spine (back-lower skull region).

I don't mean to throw you off, or frighten you away from trying to create a second pair of arms. I am letting you know that...in terms of anatomy, it is something that has perplexed many (myself included :p ). It's one thing to study the anatomy of real animals, and exaggerate it to create new and unique creatures, but creating something wholly new...eh, you kinda have to play "God" a bit, think about how you would arrange the muscle structure of something you are creating.

Take a trip to a library, pick up some books on human and aviary (bird) anatomy; I'm sure those will come in handy in helping you pull something like this off user added image

EDIT:

Now that I think about it; four arms and two wings...? You're asking for it user added image :p

# 97 07-07-2007 , 07:30 PM
s2-speedy: Thanks! Are you making any more progress on yours over at SimplyLightwave?

severinianthony: I agree with you. I came to the same conclusion that it's just not structurally sound. I'm still going to do a version with 4 arms though just for the coolness of it but I won't really try to make it "make sense" if you know what I mean. I'm sure it would drive me crazy if I did. Thanks Sever!

Exceed Expectations!
# 98 07-07-2007 , 08:01 PM
Subscriber
Love the detail alot, looks clean also ... keep up the good work

# 99 08-07-2007 , 02:52 PM
hi perfecto - yeah ive made sum progress, been workin on the clothing, no updates posted just yet but will b showin some later so every1 knows im still alive and kicking user added image (kickin the PC cuz its drivin me mad lol JK)

# 100 09-07-2007 , 02:58 AM
Thanks marlonjohn!

Glad to hear you're still at it s2-speedy!

I won't be posting an updated image tonight since the model doesn't look much different. I had to redo the wings (just the skin part). To do the skin, I used plains but it caused errors when I tried to convert to subd. I could smooth but not convert to subd no matter what I tried.

I came to the conclusion that a plane attached to a 3d obect is not going to convert without problems. So, I redid it by extruding faces (instead of edges) and once I got everything merged together properly, I had no problems. But it took awhile, so I didn't get a chance to work on the arms. Will do that tomorrow night.

Exceed Expectations!
# 101 10-07-2007 , 02:29 PM
Updates. I'm going to start modeling accessories tonight. I'll have alot of tweaking to do after I finish all the modeling especially the arms and legs.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 102 10-07-2007 , 02:32 PM
Wings will have slits in them when finished.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 103 10-07-2007 , 08:55 PM
Subscriber
I'm glad you decided to do the 4 arms, personally I really like the way it looks, if I saw that with a weapon in each hand flying around I'd definitely need a new pair of underwear to put on. user added image

# 104 11-07-2007 , 12:02 AM
Didn't really spend much time on modeling tonight so I just kind of blocked some stuff out. Still have the tail and skull to do to. The pants right now are just part of the legs duplicated, enlarged, and given depth. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll try and finish up the modeling so I can focus on tweaking.

Hey, what do you think of the darkness of the character? Do you think it's okay or do you think it's too dark? I prefer it to be dark but I'm open to suggestions. Not sure exactly how I'm going to texture the skin yet but wanted to go ahead and start getting an idea of how dark or light to make him.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 105 11-07-2007 , 12:08 AM
Subscriber
I think the darkness looks pretty good for the type of ninja it is.