Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 19-07-2007 , 04:54 PM
Thanx for the comments guys.

arran - At first I wanted it to have that nice sharp edge. I looked at my guitar again and realized it isnt that sharp. Its a bit smoother now, check last image.

Here I have added the back pannels and the neck screws with pannel. Also some shark inlays. Now just the tuning pegs left as well as the strings.

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 20-07-2007 , 04:16 AM
Allright, with some tedious work, I have completed the pegs. I might have left out a tiny cylinder shaped thing on the back of the peg, but it doesnt really matter. So here everything is finished except those strings. You guys can expect renders soon. And take a look at the last image of the completed guitar so far.

C&C welcome.

Attached Thumbnails
# 18 20-07-2007 , 11:46 AM
That's looking totally sweet so far!! I like it a lot! As was said, great attention to detail. KUTGW

Sparticus

Expect to excell...
# 19 20-07-2007 , 01:22 PM
looking very nice XtremeAMX, cant wait to see it textured and rendered user added image

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 20 20-07-2007 , 01:51 PM
wasatch5_sparticus - THANK YOU!!!

t1ck135 - thank you, and you dont need to wait, here are some renders.

Still experimenting with materials such as the ones for frets, as you can see diferences in some pix. Their reflectivity and environment makes them look white sometimes.

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 22-07-2007 , 10:33 AM
The full guitar. 2 angles. No strings yet.

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 23-07-2007 , 01:50 PM
Either my model is horrible or no one has anything to say. Cmon people, good or bad, feedback helps.

Heres one of the finals.

Attached Thumbnails
# 23 23-07-2007 , 02:36 PM
Subscriber
ill be honest

u have a really nice nodel with great detail but the render leaves much to be desired

the textures need some work also

for the wood on the neck use a program called wood workshop which u can google to create hi res tilable textures
the wood on urs looks too stretched

the metal i think is too reflective
they are plian not really reflecting anything/stands out a little too much

not sure about the blue colour but thats beacause i dont like white , red or blue guitars
i also think its shader need a little work

also dont forget the strings

i too am working on a guitar here
a gibson les paul - would appreicate ur comments since ur also modelling a guitar

edit: junk inc. another technique is to create a polygon plane, scale so it is biger that ur reference an inncreae the no of subdivions in the channel box, use the split poly tool to trace a rough outline delete unwanted faces clean up any triangles and extrude up ,(also before u extrude up move the verts around so they follow the lines of the guitar)- just thought u might like to know another technique
pbarnes

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973

Last edited by pbman; 23-07-2007 at 02:40 PM.
# 24 23-07-2007 , 09:50 PM
Thanks for the input. I have only 2 textures on the model. The one is stretched out and it looks very similar to the one on my guitar. Perhaps it is stretced but its not noticable from a distance. Thanx for the tip on program. Now you mention the metal. Well, I have a chrome bridge and knobs. The are quite reflective. Since my scene is set up with a bright light, there will be lots of reflectivity. I dont think its too reflective and the paint, to me looks just fine. I am not the best with nodes and rendering, when I do look from a distance at the picture that I rendered, it looks quite real to me.

# 25 23-07-2007 , 11:15 PM
Subscriber
a strap would make it look much more realistic. with anything ridgid bodied, if there is some type of soft body object in the scene it adds realism.

a strap would be perfect.

the last render looks nice.

i would like to see a bit darker of a shadow on it tho.

and more detail on the pickups, i dont see any metal whatever you call it on the pickups, conductors or whatever.

and maybe an electric cord comming out of the guitar, or unplugged beside the guitar all coiled up or just going out of the screen. that would also add some pa-zaz

First year 3D Grad
# 26 24-07-2007 , 07:06 AM
You got a point there. Something soft would be nice. Some guitars are modeled on a cloth. But a strap means unrealism to me. Everytime I would render a different angle, I would need to move the strap in a different spot. Now as far as pickups go, you must have been mistaken. These pickups are EMGs (humbucking) they are attached to a plastic piece and I'm sure It has a thin plastic cover. No metal pieces are involved except the screws. You are thinking of other ones.

You must be thinking of these: https://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/qua...4c36284fb0.jpg

While I modeled these: https://content.answers.com/main/cont...0px-EMG_85.jpg

That said, I will think of something soft to add.

# 27 24-07-2007 , 11:29 AM
Subscriber
pick ups
yeah emgs are nice setup - i cant see from ur render but on them in one corner have 'EMG' printed as i say i cant see so u may have already done this

also u say u ahve a guitar take a pic of it in its stand then one of the stand without it in then comp ur guitar in and use the first pic as reference as what the shadow depth, strength and colour should be
u then can include ur amp and lead in this which will make a real nice image at the end

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 28 24-07-2007 , 12:31 PM
I've got to agree with PB man the rendering and texturing need a bit of work at the moment its a bit blown out and too perfect with regards to colours, also the texture on the neck is far to large, and it need a bit of a bump.

If it was me I would add an environment to start with so that you can see the reflections as at the mo theres nothing to reflect so the chrome looks white.

with my Les Paul I mainly used photo textures, think that the only procedural was the plastic and the chrome, everything had a bump and most had a fresnell effect to them, really adds to it.

With something like this where youve put in the time in modeling youve got to di it justice with the texturing and rendering, its a paint but at the end of the day it will be worth it for the praise you'll get off your mates!!

Good luck!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 29 24-07-2007 , 11:33 PM
Subscriber
I think it looks good. Reminds of the Charvel/Jackson guitars and of the Ibanez that I have. Good job this thread is good as it is exactly what i'm looking to start to model and I am getting great tips from all the posts.

Thanks PB for extra tips its always good to get different ways to do stuff then I can see what works best for me and incorporate into my workflow.

# 30 24-07-2007 , 11:44 PM
Subscriber
I think it looks good. Reminds of the Charvel/Jackson guitars and of the Ibanez that I have. Good job this thread is good as it is exactly what i'm looking to start to model and I am getting great tips from all the posts.

Thanks PB for extra tips its always good to get different ways to do stuff then I can see what works best for me and incorporate into my workflow.