Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 24-04-2008 , 04:32 PM
Subscriber

Getting to know Maya...again

I'm starting to re-familiarize myself with Maya, now that I'm trying to expand my "tools" so I can pull in more VFX work.

At the moment, I'm trying to figure out how to make the edges of my planar shapes "thicker" as the attached image shows.

I also want to add icons to the shelves. I remember there was some technique where you select the command from a drop-down menu while holding some keys as you drag it to the Shelf. But, I'm on Mac now, so I'm guessing that's slightly different, too. Thanks in advance.

user added image

Last edited by maya4todd; 24-04-2008 at 04:34 PM.
# 2 24-04-2008 , 05:11 PM
Jr.Who

Re: Getting to know Maya...again

Originally posted by maya4todd
I'm starting to re-familiarize myself with Maya, now that I'm trying to expand my "tools" so I can pull in more VFX work.

At the moment, I'm trying to figure out how to make the edges of my planar shapes "thicker" as the attached image shows.

I also want to add icons to the shelves. I remember there was some technique where you select the command from a drop-down menu while holding some keys as you drag it to the Shelf. But, I'm on Mac now, so I'm guessing that's slightly different, too. Thanks in advance.

The bigger edges are called border edges. I don't have Maya open now, but if you look them up in the Help (F1) files, you should be able to figure out how to turn them on.
Hold down ctrl + shift for adding items to your shelves. user added image

# 3 24-04-2008 , 05:37 PM
Subscriber
Thanks, Jr. Who.

I found the border edge settings under the "Display > Polygons" menu choices. And I was able to add to my Shelf as you instructed.

:attn: