Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 27-05-2008 , 07:15 AM
Well Z lets you sculpt lots of detials directly on the object in a way that you cant in photoshop or maya. You can then export the maps directly from the model etc etc.

You could do it in maya and photoshop, but you get more control over the displacements with Zbrush.

Its not to say you cant do great work without Zbrush, its just another tool to have. But you need to work at it to get the detials in there.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 17 27-05-2008 , 07:16 AM

Originally posted by Jay
Zbrush is fast - BUT...!!!!

Dont be fooled by the 'holy crap' factor ...'it does this and this'. No it basically you that does it the software is merely the tool. Stuff can look photoreal without the use of zb. Its the way you implement everything. Same as rendering..just because mental ray does this and that, it wont stop anyone from outputting a crap render...I hope you can see what Im saying.

the more realistic you aim for the harder you gotta work!

Jay

I get exactly what you mean Jay user added image
But what about Painting weights and using subdivisions for faces, and converting later on?

(__/)
(='.'=) This is bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
# 18 27-05-2008 , 07:19 AM

Originally posted by gster123
Well Z lets you sculpt lots of detials directly on the object in a way that you cant in photoshop or maya. You can then export the maps directly from the model etc etc.

You could do it in maya and photoshop, but you get more control over the displacements with Zbrush.

Its not to say you cant do great work without Zbrush, its just another tool to have. But you need to work at it to get the detials in there.

Yeah, because i've experienced that many artists produce great results with z-brush. Maybe Z-brush IS faster, but i guess Jay is right about the work-thing user added image

So i would'nt have to worry about purchasing z-brush? I mean if i can produce the same results in maya, then i would not have to buy z-brush?

(__/)
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
# 19 27-05-2008 , 07:57 AM
Yeah, but for the price Z's well worth the money, well worth it!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 20 27-05-2008 , 08:31 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Think of Z as an extension to Maya or Max etc. It is worth having if you can afford it.

Only polys can be utilised in Zb but displacments and normal maps created there can still be used on Subds or Polys back in maya. Which are all controlable when set up correctly

weight painting is part of character set up in Maya and is not really relavent for Zb.

Jay

# 21 27-05-2008 , 06:46 PM

Originally posted by Jay
it wont stop anyone from outputting a crap render.

sorry, i had to...

Attached Thumbnails

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 22 28-05-2008 , 12:29 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
LOL, now thats funny!

Jay

# 23 28-05-2008 , 03:24 AM
haha. "mentil" ray is good... user added image

(__/)