Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 29-01-2003 , 08:47 PM

which book?

I gonna buy The Animators Survival Kit with either 1 for the following books:

:: How to Draw Animation: Learn the Art of Animation from Character Design to Storyboards and Layouts (Christopher Hart)

OR

:: Timing for Animation (John Lasseter)

Dose any one have/read these books cos i need to know which one is better?

thanx

Last edited by doodle; 29-01-2003 at 08:53 PM.
# 2 30-01-2003 , 01:40 AM
Either one would be good, depending on what you're looking for.

Chris Hart's book will teach you a bit on how to draw characters for animation -- handy if you're not comfortable with your 2D skills. It's not really an animation how-to book but more of a general overview of the processes. It has a focus on character design and construction and is definitely geared towards 2D animation.

Timing for Animation -- which is by John Halas and Harold Whitaker, not John Lasseter who only wrote the foreword -- is a good general reference book for, well, animation timing. There's info in the book on how many frames it takes to get a good explosion, how to do splashing water, breakdowns of walk sequences, etc. It's fairly technical, in terms of traditional animation, but it's still good information. This is also a very 2D-oriented book, but the fundamental concepts can still apply to 3D.

I own all three of the books, and I usually look at them in this order:

Animator's Survival Kit
Timing for Animation

I haven't looked at Chris Hart's book in months. The Animator's Survival Kit pretty much provides all the information that I need. Occassionally, I'll open up Timing for Animation, but that's only for my animation classes.

Hope this helps!

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 30-01-2003 , 01:54 AM
Subscriber
Yup m8 The Animators Survival Kit pretty much provides all the material the other two contain and more I think. Ive just recently bought that and the Timing for Animation book too and I have no complaints whatsoever with either. Terrific resources user added image

Also get The Animators Survival Kit from Amazon because you can get it for a tenner as opposed to £25!!

# 4 30-01-2003 , 01:58 AM
yeah...i saw that. Why is it so cheap?

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 5 30-01-2003 , 02:03 AM
Subscriber
That I dont know m8, I know it went out of print a number of years ago and then they obviously reprinted it. Perphaps they are just looking to shift some surplus stock. Anyway, once you recieve your book, I think you will be wanting to give them more money for it! Its actually a fairly big book. Dont question the price just buy!!

# 6 30-01-2003 , 02:05 AM
i'll get that and proberly timing for animation

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....