To make the text 3D with thickness you'll want to go to the Create>Text options and select the curves radio button.
Then select the curves for each character and go to "Surfaces > Bevel plus" to add thickness. Experiment with the bevel plus options to get the look you are going for. You have to apply bevel plus on each character individually which must be NURBs curves. For characters with holes like "A, 9, o..." you select the inner and outer curves then apply the bevel plus.
Here is an example:
Here are the steps:
1. select create > text ... options
2. make sure you have the curves radio button checked
3. once you have the curves select ... surfaces>bevel plus ... options
4. select the bevel options you want
5. select the output option tab and select polygon, mode should be count, and pick a large count like 1000
6. selected the curves for each character and apply the bevel plus. Note you must apply bevel plus to each character individually. For characters with holes like "9, A, B, ..." select the outer and inner curve and then apply the bevel plus.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675