Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 23-06-2011 , 08:28 PM

my very first 3d character, plz tell me am i doing right?

Hi
i am doing it the very first time so tell me is it fine?. any changes i should do?

user added image

user added image

# 2 24-06-2011 , 11:55 AM
Lifetime Member
Mate Im no expert but there are LOTS of things you could do to change this. First up is it a cartoon character? 2 : is it from a tutorial? From the basic look of it its pretty good, topology is neat and tidy (mesh) though the proportions are off, which is why I asked if its a cartoon. I would reduce the bridge of the nose a little to start with...and shape it a little. Bloody good effort though mate...keep it up and dont stop! woohoooo welcome to the world of fun and learning mate

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 24-06-2011 , 05:13 PM
Simply Maya OG
Is there a reason his eyes are protruding out of their sockets? And like bullet said, it's very stylized/cartoonish. Was this the look you were going for?

- Hybrid
# 4 24-06-2011 , 10:22 PM
The thin red line
We all have to start from some were, check out the TOPOLOGY section in WIP............dave

# 5 25-06-2011 , 11:38 PM
The Nurb Herd
nothing wrong with the topology imo. maybe too many edges around the mouth area.

# 6 25-06-2011 , 11:55 PM
Subscriber
I think this is an amazing first toon! Work on the ears and sculpture the nose a bit more is the only criticism id have to point out. If you go a step further id suggest him to be an elf user added image

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 7 26-06-2011 , 08:19 AM
The thin red line

nothing wrong with the topology imo. maybe too many edges around the mouth area.

I didnt say any thing was wrong with the topology just a good place to look at other head meshes........dave

# 8 26-06-2011 , 12:47 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Box moddeler.....LOL
I would just work on this character to the best of your abilities try to finish it ( don't worry about how it looks, no one I know has made the perfect model first time around).
What I do encourage is trying to rig and animate it , so you"ll see where the caveats are.
I for one think it's pretty good that you managed to get an all quad (from the looks of it at least) model, no tris or Ngons, double extrusions and son on.
The only thing I would like to say is that you should cut down on the polycounts, you don't need that many to get that shape.

But great start

# 9 27-06-2011 , 11:27 AM
hi guys! thank you so much fro taking interest! user added image

Bullet:

yes its cartoonish/stylized. i wanted a character with a long nose. long face and a skkinny body. user added image
2: i did search lots of tutorials and yes its a combo of so many tutorials.

I-Iybrid:
oh didnt check the eyes placement. surely will correct the placement.

Dave:
thanksuser added image sure will check

honestdom:
i do agree. there are so many edges around the mouth but i read somewhere that if you have more edges around the mouth, it gives you more control when you are making blendshapes. i dont know, havnt made blendshapes yet. did you?

M:
lol sure. thanks for pointing out ear and nose. will work on that user added image

mastone:
yup its all quads. i did make a body with it. i am going to rig it and surely animate it. its my thesis project. only thing is that i have studied maya only for 4 months and it was very basic introductory class. i am now working on a thesis in maya and am facing a lots of problem. for starters character building. user added image

surely will work on the polycount.

thank you all guys! you all are awesome. I am now relieved that it is going good. I was so unsure user added image