Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 26-07-2011 , 04:41 AM
Subscriber

Career advice....Please!

Okay, so I'm just looking for some input out there. My goal is to get a job as a modeler, of any kind really. I've been using Maya for a few years and after working at a dead end job that makes me miserable and has nothing to do with my passion of 3D, I need a career change.

I currently live in Western NY which might as well be Antarctica for the kind of work I would like to do. But I have family in Texas and a friend in LA, and they both have offered me a place to live for free until (if) I can find work. I'm not an expert and I hope I don't have unrealistic goals, I would be willing to take any kind of entry level work but I don't have any connections out there at all.

I realize our economy is in rough shape right now, should I be happy just to have a job at this point? I'm afraid if I don't take a chance and try to find work that is truly meaningful to me even to the slightest degree I'm going to be stuck working where I am now with very little pay and even lower satisfaction.

Any feedback from this wonderful community would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

# 2 26-07-2011 , 05:34 AM
SM Tea Boy

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 26-07-2011 , 08:57 AM
The Nurb Herd
do you have a showreel?

# 4 26-07-2011 , 11:51 AM
Subscriber

do you have a showreel?

I PMed you honestdom

# 5 26-07-2011 , 12:17 PM
Subscriber
if it makes you feel any better, i am in completely the same situation, and thinking alot the same as you are. id imagine la and texas would be places of opportunity for what you're after. perhaps the change of scene would do you good, but you are right...you do have a job, and the way things are and have been for some people, thats not to be knocked.