Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 10-02-2003 , 05:21 AM

MR GI/FG optimizations???????

Hi all,

Part of the reason I rallied with others for this forum was to establish a 'pool' of knowledge relating to MR for Maya.

My first question/suggestion for those interested is to maybe gather info from across the web in relation to rendering FG/GI in mental ray.

I frequently visit xsi base.com as the primary renderer for xsi is Mental Ray. Although xsi has MR integrated differently a lot of techniques re quality and optimization of FG/GI could (and should) be implemented in Mr for Maya. These people use Mr for a living!!! Great tips to be found.

Check out some images and animations (xsi base, etc..) that use FG/GI and see the potential for MR for Maya.

Highend 3d is another Maya/xsi forum that has info pertaining to MR for Maya.

BTW, I rendered the same image with GI Joe 2 in 6 min 45 seconds (faking GI) and rendered the same image with Mental Ray (real GI/FG) in under 7 minutes on P3 450.

anyway, I hope this is at all helpful.

re Jim

Mayan elder......only in years.....
# 2 12-02-2003 , 01:55 PM
Kevin
cool jim! yep im sure in time we shall see this are grow into a well used part of the board user added image