Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 18-03-2012 , 05:00 PM
EduSciVis-er
You can run an id pass (I think that's what it's called) in addition to your regular passes, and that will give you individual control over whatever objects are in your scene. Probably dom can help you out.

# 17 18-03-2012 , 08:00 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
plan, plan, and more planning. If you render most of your characters in their own passes that could be relatively easy. And if you want more help in what you could do in after effects then check out this website https://videocopilot.net
Great website for beginners and intermediate users of AE

# 18 18-03-2012 , 10:03 PM
The Nurb Herd
you are a long, long way off rendering so i wouldn't worry about it right now.

# 19 21-03-2012 , 06:13 AM
Lifetime Member
Thank you guys. Will definitely need your help when I get into the compo stage.

Here's some more updates. Finished modeling the gun. Wasn't looking much to match exactly the same look.

For the short, I think is good enough. Just need to work on the gloves and the shirt and I'm ready for the second stage: Rigging.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by cgisoul; 21-03-2012 at 06:20 AM.
# 20 22-03-2012 , 04:31 AM
Lifetime Member
I think I'm done with the cowboy sculpting...
Will leave the painting for later. Want to dive right into rigging and see how it will look like hehe user added image

Finished Cowboy - YouTube

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 23-03-2012 , 06:09 PM
Lifetime Member
90% rigged!... 2 a.m. now... user added image
Leaving the rest for next week.

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 03-04-2012 , 04:38 PM
Lifetime Member
Althought I still have to animate the character frame by frame later for some shoots, I've been looking into HumanIK integrating a mocap file. Though the result is horible, but it was definitely interesting and fun to work on HIK.

I call it, Kung Fu Cowboy! The result was quite interesting indeed.

HumanIK Testing 1 - YouTube

As my character wasn't in T pose, I got some serious issues with weight painting. Not sure if those were bugs or not, but each time I finished fixing one weight, the previous one will heritage the last replace stroke... to sort this one I had to lock the bone name before move to the next one.

I'm redoing the whole HIK thing again. I'm having lots of fun user added image

# 23 03-04-2012 , 08:36 PM
EduSciVis-er
Nice... looking forward to more progress. In future, I'd recommend a playblast or something though. user added image

# 24 05-04-2012 , 05:06 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
never used mo cap before though I have been told that the playstation move and kinect can be used for mocap

# 25 05-04-2012 , 11:31 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Ah, very interesting result user added image

Rig is looking good. I'm thinking the environment part of this project should be cool. Sculpting mountain ranges in ZB. Or Mud.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 26 06-04-2012 , 02:37 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi Mayaniac

Thank you for your words of encouragement. Appreciated mate. You read my mind, that's exactly what I'm going to do next. The Town.

Hi murambi

I never used mocap too, this is the first time and having tons of fun playing with it. HIK is really easy to use and speed things up really fast. Looking at some videos, I'm only scratching its surface. I heard that too, the with kinetic you can create your mocap files. That is something pretty cool. I don't have the Kinetic at home, my 2 years old at home, gives me lots of entertainment already haha.

Hi stwert

Thanks appreciated mate user added image

Now remember guys, I'm not trying to create an Avatar here. This short is more of a personal learning path where I want to touch all possible departments, from modeling, sculpting, lighting, animation, rendering, compositing. Learning, researching, investigating while doing it.

Here's an update after repainting the weights and a much better initial pose (T pose).

A much better version in comparison to the very first test I did previously. Still need some fixing / minor weight painting in some parts of the body. As this was just an experiment with HumanIK + Mocap, I think is good enough for now. Moving on to build the set (Cowboy Town), starting some hard surface modeling / Texturing (Houses, Buildings, Lights, Street, Walls, etc). Once the scene is done, I'll work on the cowboy sculpting / texture ................... and finally, back to animation for the shots. Long way to go...

HumanIK Testing 2 - YouTube

Again, thank you everyone.
Cheers.

# 27 12-04-2012 , 04:34 PM
Lifetime Member
An update!

For the last 2 week I've been researching for a way to do some motion capture for the little 3D short film. Although is still a long way to go, but so far, I've been making small progresses. After searching for a not so expensive system, I came up with the Brekel Kinect (Free). In short, allows you to connect your Xbox Kinect and link it to MotionBuilder for real life motion capture. This was my very first test, not everything seems to be fluid as I haven't calibrated the software yet.

There's an Ipi solution and it looks better, but I would have to invest some money on it. Will try it later and see if that is worth it.

On the left shows the Brekel softare and me moving around. On the right, MotionBuilder showing the skeleton mimicking my movements in real time.

Kinect (Xbox) + Brekel Kinect 0.50 + MotionBuilder 2012 - 1st Test - YouTube

# 28 13-04-2012 , 08:27 AM
Lifetime Member
Yesterday I tested the Brekel system. After researching and testing the software, although is good and above all it's free, the results are not as smooth as I have hoped. Well, it's free, what do you expect? Therefore, I looked into ipi dmc solution and IT WORKED AWESOMELY! Call me Nerd!

The motion capture, again, was done with 1 (one) Xbox Kinect and I can actually set up 4 to 6 cameras with the PS Eye in the room for better data tracking around me. The cameras are cheap $19 bucks each. The next step is to improve my acting skills! Any volunteer??? j/k Hahaha.

I did some video editing so you don't need to bare with the boring technical part. For those who might be interested, give me some time and I might do it showing you the process. Otherwise, just head to ipi dmc website and look at the procedure on how everything should be set up.

The next step is to improve the data tracking and once that is done, with all the motion capture done and tweaked, etc etc etc, it will be time to add it to my Cowboy. One gigantic step forward indeed!

ipi DMC - New Motion Capture Test - YouTube

# 29 14-04-2012 , 03:35 AM
Lifetime Member
IT WORKS!

Yesterday, I managed to do the real time motion capture in ipi soft. Very intuitive and easy to use piece of software. Today, I managed to link my Cowboy to myself! IT WORKS!!!

The animation needs some cleaning up, but the workflow and the software proved itself. It works! This alone, have saved me months and months to no end of animation work.

Okay, the hardcore part is out of the way, next is to get back to Town scene modeling.

ipi Soft Mocap Mesh Skeleton Re-targeted - YouTube

# 30 14-04-2012 , 06:46 AM
The thin red line
impressive, what was the hardest thing to find out about. I do hope you could do a short tutorial when you have time.................dave