Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 04-05-2012 , 10:26 AM

Stopping by

I've been away for a while, mainly studying for a physics B.Sc.
While looking at some of the more impressive and somewhat beautiful mathematics I now need to deal with, I stumbled across some familiar terms:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_functions
"play a special role in a wide variety of topics including indirect lighting (ambient occlusion, global illumination, precomputed radiance transfer, etc.) and recognition of 3D shapes."

Only now can I truly appreciate what it takes be a good 3D graphics designer...

And so, I want to ask you:
Did anyone have a chance to study math and physics to this depth?

Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)

Last edited by BennyK; 04-05-2012 at 12:54 PM.
# 2 04-05-2012 , 02:16 PM
The Nurb Herd
nope looks pretty advanced.

# 3 04-05-2012 , 03:23 PM
I have always had an interest and fascination with mathematics especially propositional calculus (proofs), although I consider myself horrible at making them I enjoy the beauty and elegant simplicity of a good proof that have been done by those more gifted mathematicians then I.

I recently completed my PhD in medical physics (Apr 2008), I also have a master of science (MS) in aeronautical engineering, and bachelor of science (BS) in electrical and computer engineering and computer science with a minor in mathematics.

We have someone on the site from Norway, or that region of the world, that uses Maya and mathematical functions to create some beautiful animations. I apologize for being unable to recall his name, perhaps someone will know and post a link to some of his posts.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 04-05-2012 at 03:36 PM.
# 4 04-05-2012 , 05:08 PM
Lifetime Member
umm benny tl:dr

Math is defiantly not on my list of casual reading user added image

- Jake
# 5 05-05-2012 , 12:13 AM
I didn't imagine spherical harmonics to be casual reading.
It's just that, someone had to know these things to develop Maya and other programs in the first place. I wanted to see how common it is..

ctbram:
Ph.D., M.S. and.. how much? 2 B.Sc. ?
How could you find enough time for all of them?

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 6 05-05-2012 , 01:54 AM
I am an old fart. I started my PhD at 46.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675