Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 05-05-2012 , 01:27 PM
Subscriber

Questions about an online 3D course.

Questions about an online 3D course.

I really would like to do one of these but I can't decide which one. I have two options (I bet there is more but I narrowed it down to these two). The first option is New Media Campus bases from Kelowna B.C. and the second option is 3dti-training based out of New York. The first one offers a course in 3D animation & Game Design but I was always in the impression that most industries use 3dsmax which I don't use, I sent them an email about this and they replied with "yes but the interface is the same so it shouldn't hard to learn" weird cause why wouldn't you offer this course in 3dsmax. 3dti-training offers multiply courses in Autodesk software Maya, 3dsMax, Revit and Autocad a better choice you would think and I would agree but NMC is like said in Canada so easier for me since I'm Canadian so I can claim it too next year. I haven't really wrapped my head around it but I would like to go towards movies and games just keep everything broad, the more you know the better. I really would like to know what you think and your opinion about this it is very much appreciated.

Sincerely
Michael Sandee

# 2 07-05-2012 , 03:04 AM
Well,maybe I would choose the second one.
Firstly, the interface of maya and 3ds max are indeed the same, so it doesn't matter a lot.But the multiply courses of 3dti-training really attract me more.I think it has more advantages if you can use different softwares.
As for the position you considered,I think go out for a more wonderful life is suitable for our youngsters.
All personal thoughts,hope can make a help.

# 3 10-05-2012 , 12:41 AM
The Nurb Herd
Actually games is probably high poly modelling and low poly, same as movies. user added image
Do you even want to be a modeller?

I studied maya at escape studios. It was a classroom course but their online course is good too.

I'd suggest maya should be your main focus. Autocad and revit will be pretty useless in movies/broadcast/commercials
Best of luck

# 4 10-05-2012 , 02:27 AM
Subscriber
game assets have to be under a certain amount of tri's. animations/movies don't.

# 5 10-05-2012 , 09:42 AM
The Nurb Herd
sorry i just meant that game assets have to be low poly, but there is also a more detailed model made. just as detailed as a film asset. hero characters in games will probably be more detailed in some cases.
many background film assets have to be made as objects to catch shadows, be blown up etc these can be low poly with projected textures.

# 6 10-05-2012 , 12:44 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
haha, well even movie models have a limit, we have to be sensible, we dont add polys for polys sake.

games is so different that way, sculpt a model at so many millions of polys in Z or mud, then transfer the data back via the maps to a 10-20k model (if its a character) environments would be less

I say stop your advertising of rival sites!!! LOL - Having looked at their (DTs) stuff as part of our competition, I will say they seem to just reel off stuff that they got off the web or out of a manual, theres no awsome production savvy tips or anything, just different methods. I'd go to somewhere like Escape if you wanna do a proper course and get a job out of it

J