Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 46 15-07-2011 , 06:37 AM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 47 15-07-2011 , 10:18 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok...well the modelling seems to be going...slowly, locked up a couple of times..damn thing...but a question..to boolean or not to boolean? should I cut out some holes for zee pipes?

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 48 15-07-2011 , 11:33 AM
Subscriber
i wont try to improve it, especially if you're going to continue. i just am keen to seeit rendered in zbrush as i've had an urge to do something more hard surface with the workflow i've been using on the characters, but havnt had the time. i'll just try and open, export, and render, to start.

re: the booleans. i'm one of those in the camp of 'they're generally hit n miss, generally just leave em alone'. but if they work the way you want them to, have a go. can always control+z.

# 49 15-07-2011 , 12:17 PM
If it is for the purpose of joining them I would say no to the boolean. You will never really see it from the the shot distances you are most likely going to use for the scene.

If it is to put a gap that the pipes run into I would also say skip it. You can always just put a small flat black texture around those pipes and from a distance it will give the illusion of a gap.

You can also build a flange around the pipe that butts up against the other part. Here is the idea and you could also add bump mapped or actual rivet details...

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 15-07-2011 at 01:31 PM.
# 50 15-07-2011 , 12:39 PM
Lifetime Member
sweet ben...no worries mate have fun.

didnt think of the flange ct....that might be the go....or even the texture will do...thanks mate.

P.S ben, I have no troubles with boolean operations mostly mate...they dont scare me now....(says with fingers crossed).

bullet1968

# 51 30-07-2011 , 11:15 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks again ct...used a little imaginay...hope I havent disappointed. Ok the renders just arent going to happen...which is a real bitch....sigh. I THOUGHT I was going to improve some skills here but it looks like Im a shot bird...I have more detail to do..so far it hasnt locked up...but render...forget it. Anyway here is a little more...screen shots are all I can achieve...its pretty depressing now...I was so hoping to advance in all levels here...I think the modelling needs more honing...but Im annoyed I cant even render it out now....

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 52 30-07-2011 , 11:46 AM
The thin red line
You should be able to render chunks at a time then save image as ps then comp in ps, or you could send me the file and I will render it for you.........dave

Edit: this is not a offer to texture it for you......LOL

# 53 30-07-2011 , 01:01 PM
Lifetime Member
thanks dave!! will keep that one up my sleeve then...aaaaaawwwwwwwwwwww why no you want to texture and map for me LOL......sont worry mate...its a building etc so a LOT of the UV's will be duplicated...with a random shift in texture to give the illusion of individual components...

chhesr bullet

bullet1968

# 54 21-06-2012 , 01:20 PM
Lifetime Member
Ok...been a while, new PC tomorrow....then I will nail this puppy...time given. From a good mate (secret squirrel) I cleaned this scene up and now have at least some access to it until the new rig gets booted up. I have deleted all of the rung irons...didnt like the shape, will do them again. Deleted some geo and re topo, less poly's etc. I think I reduced the scene by 50k. Re did some engineering underneath as I had asset collision which I didnt notice before.

Got rid of some lamina faces and redid some bevel points...still have some otheres to look at. The goal (besides finishing) will be to reduce poly's and clean up some geo. Added some future decklights (uplights) to the main deck as well. Put some human meshes in there for ref...Im liking the feeling here now. Might change the ladder on the walkway so it can withdraw into the wall and the bridge plate at the end will rotate up to prevent access from the main deck...see what happens.

Thank you again 'ol squirrel.....you taught an old dog a new trick, best to you.

Cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 21-06-2012 at 01:25 PM.
# 55 21-06-2012 , 01:30 PM
looks good bullet. Some faceting on the platform not sure if that is the intent or not

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 56 21-06-2012 , 02:20 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Rick, they are floor panels. One of the renders which didnt load....and a fun render...to see what this will look like soon I hope.

cheers bullet

EDIT : sorry just spotted what you meant Rick, no all unsmoothed for these test renders man, that platform will be smoothed later.

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 21-06-2012 at 03:56 PM.
# 57 21-06-2012 , 04:18 PM
Subscriber
cool user added image
how many project re you doing in the same time? user added image

# 58 21-06-2012 , 06:07 PM
Super Moderator
Haha whats with the creepy guy hanging out on the back wall? Some proxies could help with the RAM overhead. I really want to see this textured but I don't envy you with those uvs man user added image. Speaking of textures, I don't quite know how to read the one on the wall, I'm thinking speckles of corrosion but when taking in the image as a whole, they look like smushed bugs. The modelling is pretty sweet, that texture is letting it down.

- Genny
# 59 21-06-2012 , 07:22 PM
The thin red line
I do hope that thats Chef Ramsey in the middle of that big atomizer, thats one pom I would not mind getting atomized............LOL..........dave

# 60 21-06-2012 , 07:52 PM
Technical Director

thanks dave....its screwed anyways...lappy keep locking up at 230 000 faces.....its too much already.

No... You're lappy died because you had smooth preview on O.o

You need to make a ceiling mate. Put in some catwalks, cables hanging, etc. If you need inspiration, take a look at Mr. Universe's "lair" in Serenity.

its a building etc so a LOT of the UV's will be duplicated...with a random shift in texture to give the illusion of individual components...

Or... You could use Ptex user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 21-06-2012 at 07:59 PM.