Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 25-06-2012 , 10:29 PM
Super Moderator
Care to show how the mia frosted glass looked? It could be down to not high enough ray trace settings.

- Genny
# 17 26-06-2012 , 02:00 AM
Lifetime Member
here's a quick render with the mia_x and frosted glass default settings applied to objects, all colors set to white
but there's a bunch of settings I have no idea what to adjust user added image

:edit:
I saw some settings for FG, but nothing for raytrace

Attached Thumbnails

I'm not lazy, I'm just resting before I get tired
# 18 26-06-2012 , 02:47 AM
it is becoming better and better.But personally,I don't like the textures,seem not very real.

# 19 26-06-2012 , 02:46 PM
Lifetime Member
thanks for the comment oxygenfish
to be honest, the issues you're having about not looking real has got to be my render and lighting settings, as the textures are all photos of real wood textures we used to create the cabinets.
While I worked at that shop, we cut,stitched and pressed our own custom veneer panels,
once a 4'x8' panel was pressed and sanded, I took pictures of it, so the wood textures you see are actual real wood textures used on that job.

I admit, I have a ton to learn about proper lighting and photoreal rendering.

# 20 26-06-2012 , 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, if your glass is coming out a solid colored then it's most likely the raytrace settings, its in the render settings' quality tab. Bump up the refraction traces, 2 for starters but just make sure the max trace depth is the sum of the reflection and refraction traces because it needs to be able to cover both. Also, I find its not a good idea to make glass 100 % transparent because then it doesn't even seem tangible you know, I try not to go above 95% transparency, balance the difference out in the diffuse(5%), bah I'm rambling, anyways I think you should look into linear lighting, once you absorb it, you'll never look back.

As for the textures, I think they're 1/3 of the issue (what res are they anyway? They seem a bit blurred). I think its the wood shader that's flattening your objects, its very matte, even a bit ambiguous. Did you pump out a specular map and a bump map? I think those will help a lot.

- Genny
# 21 27-06-2012 , 03:02 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks for the reply Genny
I didn't set the transparency of glass any higher than 30%, figured frosted glass was more translucent than transparent.
linear lighting?
I'm gonna try and sit and watch Nilla's introduction to lighting - basics today (and tomorrow and day after...... user added image ),
do you know if she covers linear lighting in those tuts?
gotta get a handle on the lighting as I know end result is probably 65% quality of final render (figure other 35% is render settings and textures)

re: wood textures, they are only 1500x1035 @ 72 dpi, which is max for the camera I had at time I took the pictures
And currently textures are only applied to color channel ......
is there a tut here that would explain the spec and bump maps, and textures in general?
maybe the interior modeling scene?
I looked thru the tuts and figure the only 2 that would apply to me right now are the interior modeling, and the clown(?) with painting in photoshop .......

I have a much better camera now, Nikon P500, might go to a local wood company and get some better shots of textures....

TIA

# 22 28-06-2012 , 04:30 AM
Super Moderator
I don't know if that tut covers linear lighting, shoot Nilla or David a pm.

You may want to, at the very least, repeat the texture a few times.

Linear lighting is a shading/lighting setup where the shading and illumination input don't have gamma pre-baked into it and thus the image does not look horrendous when tonemapped for example. And tonemapping goes a long way into making renders more believable since now you can use light falloff that is much closer to the real world without them looking like super novas.

- Genny
# 23 28-06-2012 , 05:30 AM
I recommend downloading XNormal and spitting out the textures everyone is recommending. They will go a long way. Do you even have a normal map running?

# 24 30-06-2012 , 03:24 PM
Lifetime Member
sorry for the delay, been laid up the last couple days
quick check of posts and emails and it's back to bed for rest of weekend, such is life user added image

@Genny LOL throw me into overload user added image re: tonemapping & linear lighting
didn't think about the repetitive texture, will give it a try

@Chavfister currently no normal map running, am really still at beginning of this project
will check into XNormal, see what it does, and see how it might help me on this

many thanks for the comments ya'll, will get back to this when I can sit again for any length of time.

# 25 30-06-2012 , 05:35 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah linear lighting can be much to take in since it'll turn all you've learned about lighting on its head but its worth it.

Being laid up blows, feel better soon! user added image

- Genny
# 26 01-07-2012 , 11:05 AM
Administrator
When you're back up and running again check out the videos from Zeth Willie, they go over linear workflow, gamma correction and all of this in a way that makes sense if you've not heard of it before. https://williework.blogspot.cz/2009/1...basics-of.html
There's an updated version too, but it's shorter so I'd watch the other ones first.
https://vimeo.com/27565878

From there take a look at the Product Viz tutorial it's sort of perfect for what you're working on and in addition to linear workflow you'll learn how to use the architectural material with bump and spec maps to blow some realism into your work. There's a .psd file packed in with the tutorial as well which you can break down to learn a bit about post-production of your renders in a simple way without having to use After Effects or Nuke.

Cheers,
Nilla

# 27 02-07-2012 , 03:49 AM
Lifetime Member
many thanks for the replies

@Genny, since I haven't learned that much about lighting yet, shouldn't be as much confusion for me user added image

@Nilla, thank you for the links, will pull those up on my lappy and watch from the comfort of my bed the next day or so.
Actually transferred your interior modeling scene to lappy also and started watching it today,
figured you'd cover some of the basics I needed help with on my project (just have to get used to your accent LOL)
afterwards I'll have a peek at the product viz tut as suggested.

I really appreciate all the user added image this forum gives to noobs like me