Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 15-01-2013 , 05:18 PM
Lifetime Member
You might also want to look at either decreasing the size of the axehead with respect to the shaft, or increasing the thickness of the shaft as it looks a little weedy in comparison to your reference image.

# 17 15-01-2013 , 05:41 PM
The thin red line
I think mark_slw is right a little out of balance............dave

# 18 16-01-2013 , 11:29 AM
I made the handle bigger so it didn't look as disproportional, what do you think?

Attached Thumbnails
# 19 16-01-2013 , 12:03 PM
Lifetime Member
Definitely looks better. I'd still be tempted to increase its diameter somewhat though - if you look at your original reference you'll see that where the shaft goes into the axe-head, there's very little change in size - whereas you have your axe-head ballooning out. Realistically, the shaft should be nearly the same size as its receptacle in the axe-head.