Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 22-02-2013 , 03:26 PM

Grass

Hi everyone,

It's been ages since I've posted anything on this forum, yet I can't think of a better place to actually post a question that has been bugging me.

I've been trying to create a field of grass, that I want to animate. I managed to get quite far using all sorts of tutorials online, but I still can't find that sweet spot that I'm looking for.

I've been using maya fur driven by a hair system to animate it, and at first it started showing a lot of the patches, as can be seen here:

Grass animation WIP - YouTube

Fast forward a couple of days, and I've seem to be able to make it look quite a lot better, as can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/TAWFUcHOAdw

The problems however is, that since I'm using fur, I don't know if I can use something like a MIA material, to make it look a lot better, since the fur uses stuff like base color and tip color.

The other problem I seem to be running into is that this is quite a small patch of grass, and even with a reasonably good pc (8core, clocked to 4.2ghz) the calculation times are larger than the render times.

Is there a way to increase the amount of grass I can place into a scene without making calculation times incredibly high?

TL;DR

What is the best way to create grass that can be animated, can be custom shaded, and doesn't take 24 hours to calculate a 80 frame animation?

01001011011101010111011101100101011001010110101101 10010101100101
# 2 22-02-2013 , 04:51 PM
The thin red line
You could cache the memory this would save you having to simulate every time you render, you could make a colour map for the tip and base that should brake up the grass a little.....................dave