Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 286 13-02-2014 , 07:28 PM
Having Fun!!!!
No experience in MR?? Really?? It's not that easy to get a result like that one in MAYA. Looks really good.

# 287 13-02-2014 , 09:28 PM
That is awesome. Good work Bullet. Does me no good sitting on my desktop. Why I gave it out....

# 288 14-02-2014 , 02:57 AM
Lifetime Member
No experience Juan, I have done 1 other model/image but that was following a tutorial. This (apart from Collins mesh) is all my own.

Thanks Collin,

It was a very difficult process but I got there in the end. I have since taken artistic licence on your watch and I am in the initial stages of doing a small room scene to add some depth to it. With your permission, (credits of course for the mesh) I would like to use it and add it to my fledgling portfolio I am putting together to do a mature age Diploma user added image

Here is an updated WIP...no dates or pressure on this one. When and if I get time I shall study MR some more and try to improve times and renders.

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 289 14-02-2014 , 09:31 PM
yep no problem.

# 290 16-02-2014 , 03:19 PM
Having Fun!!!!
OK Bullet. I'm Learning Mental Ray and it is a bit complicated to get realistic results in comparison to Rendering Programs like Keyshot. You can get amazing results in keyshot in just minutes compared to Mental Ray. I just don't have the money for it right know user added image BTW way Nice Render

# 291 17-02-2014 , 08:31 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL thanks Juan, I am only learning Mental Ray because a special person was helping me along in my first tutorial. The other real reason is I want to learn the hard way, to adjust things on my own and learn the proper technique and how light interacts. Anyone can learn very quickly 'one click' applications but never understand what they are doing. Collin is already very proficient at many software programs and can afford to use the quicker method, I on the other hand am not as deft as he in 3D...so the hard way it is first, then easy way after user added image

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 292 18-02-2014 , 03:50 AM
Having Fun!!!!
I Agree!!! Thats why I learning Mental Ray too but my Head its about to explode. user added image

# 293 18-02-2014 , 08:26 AM
Lifetime Member
Dont explode....I did and made a big mess, my wife kicked me in the man eggs LOL. Its trial and error mate and takes a long time. Those renders you see I made? ONE area light, IBL, FG and AO in the render pass, thats it...nothing special.

bullet1968

# 294 18-02-2014 , 07:58 PM
Just remember that linear workflow is essential and quadratic lighting is your friend. Once you get the render settings then figure out lighting ratios. Is very simple when you break it down to math and understand 3-point lighting. The material presets in MIA are quite good. Last you will incorporate IBL's and learn how to use them effectively. Keyshot only uses IBL's but it is all calibrated in their renderer to be linear and have BRDF materials. Like he said. Learn the hard way and then the easy way you can do drunk. I learned the hard way first like he said.

# 295 21-02-2014 , 12:13 PM
Lifetime Member
Its like my dayjob Juan, very similar to 3D design etc. I have been a Civil Surveyor for nearly 30 years, I learnt Survey the OLD way, the HARD way and progressed through it as technology advanced. There are many young men and women who are trained Surveyors but have NOT learned how to do it the hard way. They therefore do not completely understand what/how they are mapping a surface/road/building etc and cannot 'see' errors they may be making, they follow the PDA blindly.

Im quite proud to know Collin and for the fact that, as a young man, he chooses to learn things the hard way first. To better build his understanding of what he is trying to achieve. I rarely see that at work, which is a shame. I am probably of the last that can still Survey without a GPS, computer or robotic Total station. I count maybe one....among 20 I have met in the last 10 years that can match me. 3D is no different and I truly believe the old arts are dying in the need for speed and production, much like Surveying.

Stick with it man....you will get there in the end. If an old bugger like me can teach himself, anyone can. user added image

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 296 23-02-2014 , 10:45 AM
Subscriber
Nice work mate, just viewed your progress. Keep it up.

# 297 26-02-2014 , 06:21 AM
Time to get this thread back to its roots. Enough of this Keyshot crapola...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by CollinBishop; 26-02-2014 at 10:56 AM.
# 298 26-02-2014 , 11:32 PM
another sculpt for the day.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by CollinBishop; 27-02-2014 at 05:29 AM.
# 299 27-02-2014 , 03:30 AM
Progress on grandfather Have to do wife last. Not sure if a sister will be in the family.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by CollinBishop; 27-02-2014 at 05:40 AM.
# 300 02-03-2014 , 03:17 AM
So this is a tutorial I have been recording involving modeling, UVing, texturing, importing, and rendering into CryEngine. Whole tutorial is about 3 hours long. But it goes over a process from scratch to finish. It is all pretty much done in your beloved Maya. Would have been faster in C4D but the UVing and export tools don't exist for that app. Not bad for real-time rendering.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by CollinBishop; 02-03-2014 at 03:20 AM.