Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 30-08-2014 , 01:09 AM

Creating Irregular Polygons

Okay...so I am in here the noobie area and I have a question because I cannot figure it out....

How do you create irregular polygon shapes from a box?

I am absolutely stumped...and mystified by this magic... lol

Any help would much appreciated...

# 2 30-08-2014 , 02:06 AM
Super Moderator
Not sure what you mean. Could you elaborate? Maybe some pictures?

- Genny
# 3 30-08-2014 , 02:47 AM
Do not have a real picture

But lets imagine we have box, a polygon, now I want to take that box, and make an irregular shape such as as hexgon with uneven sides....

# 4 30-08-2014 , 02:55 AM
Duh...I was so caught up in using a single shape I forgot about making a cylinder shape with 6 sides then using vertex to move points to where I want them.... <feels like and idiot>

# 5 30-08-2014 , 12:22 PM
Lifetime Member
The easiest way to create things like a hexagon is to create a prism and set the number of sides to 6.

This would be far more accurate then manually moving points.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 6 30-08-2014 , 05:07 PM
jsprogg,

I would completely agree if it was a prism like shape but the shape I needed to create was a 6-sided hexagon whose edges are not regular shape they shoot off in a couple of different directions. I will post a pick soon....

# 7 30-08-2014 , 05:28 PM
Lifetime Member
Not following what you mean to be honest, a 6 sided prism or a 6 sided cylinder are hexagonal. I am in intrigued now ..lol

You are aware that you can change the amount of sides under Inputs in the channel box ?

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 30-08-2014 at 05:30 PM.
# 8 30-08-2014 , 07:53 PM
Its not all that interesting....lol...I agree with what you said...With that here is my Irregular shaped prism...
user added image

Make Sense? Like I said I was caught up in only using a box.....that I forgot about cylinders lol

# 9 22-09-2014 , 08:52 PM
I know cinema 4d has an option "set point value" which randomizes the vertexes of an object, if that's what you want, try searching for a MEL script to do that for you

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^