Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 04-06-2003 , 01:08 PM
Subscriber

GI render test

everybody is having so much fun with gi_joe so i looked for something to make my renders a bit nicer w/o much work. i found a nice plugin at highend3d - RealFakeGI - it does not need a big light setup as gi_joe does. and the results are very nice. what do you think?

c&c welcome

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 04-06-2003 , 01:27 PM
looks good! I guess the problem With RealFakeGI and why its not as popular as GI_Joe is because of where Geomety meets. With GI_Joe, you can get nice Shadows where geomety meet, but with RealFakeGI, you don't get those nice shadows. for example, take alook at where the Cone meets the Ground plane. Hmm.... I am trying something out.. I will post another reply in a little bit. Thanks,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 3 04-06-2003 , 01:32 PM
Subscriber
the ground plane is not affected by realfakegi at all, it is just a lambert.

# 4 04-06-2003 , 01:35 PM
ok. thats cool... if you are experimenting with it still, would you mind intersecting the cone and the torus? I was just currious how they would look if they intersected, Just wondering. user added image Thanks
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 5 04-06-2003 , 03:00 PM
Subscriber
oh sure. was just stepped out. and i guess you are right. sharp borders dont look so well. but for showing off only one smooth object, i think it is useable user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 04-06-2003 , 03:36 PM
Subscriber
and a more realistic object. the monster. on top of the plugin is only one pointlight for the shadow

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 05-06-2003 , 12:14 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for highlighting that BabyDuck- will make a change from GI_Joe and offer a few more 'mood' options. Shall try it out.

When it says;

'Source the RealFakeGILight.mel and RealFakeGIEditor.mel to use the Lightsets and to edit them'.

What does it mean by 'source'? I installed the plugin through the plugin manager but cannot get it to work- I tried typing both things in the script editor but no joy. Any help gratefully recieved 8)

Last edited by Witchy; 05-06-2003 at 08:55 AM.
# 8 05-06-2003 , 10:33 AM
Subscriber
you have to type "source XXX.mel" - i made two buttons. one shelf buttons does this:

source RealFakeGILight.mel;
RealFakeGILight;

the other:

source RealFakeGIEditor.mel;
RealFakeGIEditor;

the source command is just to define the command, and then i execute them.

hope that helps some

# 9 05-06-2003 , 04:22 PM
Subscriber
Aha thanks for that. Wish it had a slightly better readme! I am fairly new to the world of plugins and scripts (shame things are not more like Danny's which have good instructions) so thanks for the assistance. It needs a little idiots guide! Any tips on achieving various effects?