Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 10-06-2003 , 04:10 AM
ok, I've spent about 6 hours on this today. Im done for the day.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 17 10-06-2003 , 11:50 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Ultragames
Question: If I dont texture it, and some one with just as good of a model does texture theirs, would they then win??

it depends if the texture made an optical improvement to the render. this is not a model challenge, but a "look good" challenge. so, the exact same model with good texturing will have better chances to win, i think.

# 18 10-06-2003 , 11:58 AM
Subscriber

texturing time

thx for the hint - i'll spend the time with texturing now...:p

When the only tool you use is a hammer, every problem begins to look like a nail.
# 19 10-06-2003 , 10:58 PM
ok, back fin is done. Stinger Rockets made, and ready to attach to body... Ohh yeah, I need a body... hahah. Please let knwo what you guys think. Im flying blind with very little coments here.

Attached Thumbnails

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 20 11-06-2003 , 12:00 AM
Subscriber
Looking good!The only comments taht I can think of is that maybe you could add some detail to the heads of the rockets? as if they are seperate from the body ... you could be planning that for the texture stage though. and also, you could add some sort of drive-shaft-mechanism to propel the wheels?

# 21 11-06-2003 , 05:57 AM
Ok, i've jsut rethought the spape and design of the body. Slightly new wheel arangement and new tail coming up tonight. Hopefully my comp wont die anymore. My Motherboard probe shut down my computer because voltage went so low, it was in danger of frying. Im heading out first thing after a morning bike ride tomorrow to get a new power supply.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 22 12-06-2003 , 01:13 AM
Subscriber
man this is stunning! Wonderful work so far! Wow, sorry i havent been able to get on SM that much this week.. i have been REALLY busy. I havent really seen any of the entries at all.. im really sorry about that guys.. i will be right on it as of next week (y)

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 23 12-06-2003 , 08:10 PM
Can't wait to see your update!

Please check
My (old) website!
# 24 12-06-2003 , 09:14 PM
no going well at all! The body I came up with in my head kicks more ass than you can belive! But I cant get Maya to make the shape. Stupid Maya.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 25 12-06-2003 , 09:25 PM
I totally know what you are going thru, its one of the most annoying things... It will get better though... If you draw it out and post a sketch, maybe I can give you a few quick sugestions, then again drawing what is in your head can be even more challenging than modeling it. user added image
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 26 13-06-2003 , 02:27 AM
Subscriber
i owuld truly suggest trying to draw a side view as it will help you no matter how CRAPPY you draw it.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 27 13-06-2003 , 02:38 AM
haha, my stickmen look like spaghetti

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 28 13-06-2003 , 04:08 AM
Here is a VERY rough body design. The body i thought up for the 'new' one was WAY to hard, so I had to go back to this. I think im beyond even your help Brian. But your VERY welcoem to try!

Attached Thumbnails

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 29 13-06-2003 , 04:11 AM
From super cool to Ultra-noob in just 6.3 seconds. Its horrid!

Attached Thumbnails

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 30 13-06-2003 , 11:39 AM
Looks like it needs to be more round (this is all just my opinion, not nessisarily right or wrong), Maybe try starting with a sphere, and use a lattice deformer to get the shape you want, then you could extract the faces for the windows and stuff... Not sure, its kinda a cool idea, your drawing makes me think of those small Helicopters.. Do you know what I am talking about? Anyways keep goin user added image
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!