Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 106 26-06-2003 , 06:24 PM
i'd make the tank barrell longer and a tad bit thicker. Don't wimp out. make it one hell of a thing to fear :headbang:

MSN: cyborg_corporation@hotmail.com
AIM: RavagingOrc
# 107 26-06-2003 , 06:53 PM
I like the cannon idea. It is great.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 108 26-06-2003 , 07:42 PM
Subscriber
Hey guys thanx all for you're support!!

This is based of a few different barrels i found on a heavy armour page that Darknow linked to in his WIP thread(thankx AGIAN bro).

Wichty of course you can post cool pics of armour in here! I think i'll skip the pod rockets although i've never seen those before so thanx for the idea.

The barrel is longer and wider now so there ya go hal.

I guess i will stay with this design thanx for reassuring me!

Attached Thumbnails

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 109 26-06-2003 , 07:49 PM
Subscriber
okay some installer just restarted my computer ARG! d*** &*%!, i guess i'll redo ALL that tonight, oh well. gotta goto work see yall after.user added image user added image user added image user added image user added image
<-edit censor->

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"

Last edited by Vectorman; 27-06-2003 at 05:44 AM.
# 110 26-06-2003 , 07:52 PM
yea if i'm installing something and i have lots of programs running in the backround, my computer restarts *kicks the computer* I think its something with my cd drive.

MSN: cyborg_corporation@hotmail.com
AIM: RavagingOrc
# 111 27-06-2003 , 03:20 AM
Subscriber
wide angle shot

<--edit my desktop wallpaper is this pic right now, had a mountain dew one for too long, makes me wanna drink Dew and stay up too much-->

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Vectorman; 27-06-2003 at 08:33 AM.
# 112 27-06-2003 , 06:01 AM
hmm... i think the big cannon isn't a very good idea.
if they fire just one shot, your tank would fly through the air (or at least stand 50meters away)
i'd make a machine gun at the top

but the rest of your vehicle looks realy good

# 113 27-06-2003 , 06:47 AM
Subscriber
hmm.... i don't know what to do, i couldn't find a machine gun turret referance, gonna go try outta my head (i'm an auditory thinker, only recently trying to learn to think visually and its quite hard for me sometimes!)

# 114 27-06-2003 , 08:31 AM
Subscriber
i lose, no machine gun, i think i'll just stick with the turret and ignore the laws of physics, i mean i already have jump jets.....

Thanx for you're input anyway.

# 115 27-06-2003 , 08:15 PM
Subscriber
Aright Texture update mostly, 7min render. I have to make the camo darker, i think i will lower specularity to do so, the new procedural, has .1 reflect, and very lil specularity i just forgot that on the camo. Also there is some procedural dirt on the camo. Enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails

# 116 27-06-2003 , 08:47 PM
Subscriber
Nice, I like the dusty effect. You might want to add something for the turret to rotate on (unless it only fires forward) or a mount to the bottom to make it look more securely attached to the main body and more integrated. But all very minor stuff. Looking good- like the tyres.

# 117 28-06-2003 , 12:40 AM
Subscriber
15 min to render 1k square, production AA.

<--edit-->
BTW guys if you look close at the camo texture, thats not jpg compression its the dirt scheme, after ALOT of tweaking today i think it looks pretty good.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Vectorman; 28-06-2003 at 02:34 AM.
# 118 28-06-2003 , 02:32 AM
Subscriber
Witchy you're right about the turret not looking "attached" i'd really like to make it look more attached but can't figure out any ways of doing so! I'd love for it to be able to rotate, so a bunch of supporting pipes wouldn't really do, anyone think of anything? I think the problem is that this turret design is a bit unconventional. I'm lost........

# 119 28-06-2003 , 08:29 AM
you could slap a short but wide cylinder under there
looking kinda like this:

_____
\....../
|....|
/___\

but shorter..

also couldnt the jets be used for water repulsion? then you dont have to model anything extra user added image

sleep is for lam3rs

Last edited by aL_3891; 28-06-2003 at 08:31 AM.
# 120 28-06-2003 , 08:33 AM
Subscriber
You can probably make it look quite complex without too much work so don't despair!

Most turrets work on a hydraulic system on what are basically rotating drums. I attach a photo of a prototype turret- you can see the mount clearly as it's not 'in' it's tank. Remember some of this is loader and breech space which you don't need to model unless you are doing an interior.

You could try adding a smaller version of that sort of mount on top of your vehicle, under the gun itself; it just needs to look like it holds the gun on and can rotate and could be based on a cylinder with detailing.

Attached Images