Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 13-04-2003 , 03:11 AM

rendering background

i was just wondering if its possible to render out a transparent background in maya for later compositing (so that u dont hav to rotoscope/key out colors)

-Kozmo
# 2 13-04-2003 , 08:29 AM
save as a file format, like TIF, that includes the alpha information and use the alpha to key on.. voila.

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 3 13-04-2003 , 08:33 AM
Subscriber
Yep, saving as targa is great user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 4 13-04-2003 , 09:47 AM
Subscriber
thats in render globals btw, you just include the alpha information as well as colour

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 5 01-07-2003 , 11:39 PM
ok, i saved the image as a tif. I go into photo shot. I can turn on and off the alpha layer in teh channels area of Photoshop, but how can i put an image back there??

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 6 02-07-2003 , 12:49 AM
CTRL+click on the alpha to select your bg area.
OR
Select your alpha, and go to SELECT > LOAD SELECTION.

Iether way, you should now have a selection that you can use to place your bg into.

NOTE: Depending on your alpha preferences from another app, you might have to iether INVERT your selection, or INVERT your alpha to get the right selectionuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 7 02-07-2003 , 12:51 AM
yeah, i got that the first 3 seconds. But when doing it with a sphere, there is still a black line around the sphere. Is that just a long shadow?

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 8 02-07-2003 , 12:54 AM
SWEET! ok. the black line is just because of the shape. Also. Something that is partly transparent, is partly transparent in photoshop. COOL!

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 9 02-07-2003 , 01:50 AM
I've noticed that too when I render out images with an alpha. When I open it in photoship, there's a thin black stroke around where the alpha meets the image. Anyone know the reason for this? I've sort of gotten around it by loading the image and just contracting it 1 pixel, inverting the selection and deleting. Still, I'd like to know how to prevent this from the source. Any ideas?

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 10 02-07-2003 , 06:24 AM
instead of contracting it by 1, try feathering it by two.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 11 02-07-2003 , 07:15 AM

Originally posted by NitroLiq
I've noticed that too when I render out images with an alpha. When I open it in photoship, there's a thin black stroke around where the alpha meets the image. Anyone know the reason for this?

I think Photoshop dopesn't pre-mutilply the image. In After Effects when I leave off pre-multiply, I get the thin black outline. When I turn on pre-multiply, the black line goes away.

BTW, where do you set the BG color for renders? I've looked all though the Render Globals and I can't find it.

-dann

# 12 02-07-2003 , 12:37 PM
Dann: Go to the attribute editor for the camera you're rendering from and choose the environment tab. This will allow you to change the background for you renders.

UG: I'm not a big fan of feathering for the most part because it washes out (blurs) the objects edges (something I definitely don't want). I'm more concerned with figuring out where the black line is coming from so I can remove it properly.

Interesting about the Pre-multiply, Dann.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."