Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 12-07-2003 , 12:59 AM
Darkware....you might try being in the directory that your file is located in (C:\Windows\Desktop) and type:

copy WARIOW*.TXT a:

* being a wildcard

Best of luck to you getting your file. user added image

Blondie

**Edit

Have you tried booting up in safe mode to see if you can get to your file?

To get into Windows 98 / ME safe mode as the computer is booting you press and hold your "F8 key" on the top of your keyboard or press and hold the left or right Ctrl key as the computer is booting. If done properly you should get into the "Windows 98 / ME Startup Menu". In this menu that will come up choose option 3 by pressing the 3 key and press enter.

Note: With some computers if you press and hold a key as the computer is booting you will get a stuck key message as the computer is booting. If this occurs instead of pressing and holding the "F8 key" tap the "F8 key" continuously until you get the startup menu.

Last edited by Blondie; 12-07-2003 at 01:10 AM.
# 17 12-07-2003 , 01:35 AM
When ever i have reinstalled windows, all my files/programmes has still been here.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 18 12-07-2003 , 02:01 AM
that's because you reinstall instead of reformatting and then installing windows. Reformating and installing is like changing your name and moving, its a complete fresh start with no worries.

MSN: cyborg_corporation@hotmail.com
AIM: RavagingOrc
# 19 12-07-2003 , 06:22 PM
If you install Windows as a repair or Fresh Copy without reformatting, all your files will still be there. If you reformat, you've lost it all. Most likely it sounds like you've picked up a virus that killed your computer. Messing around in the temp folders, especially the IE temp folder, shouldn't do any system damage.

The way you described the breakdown is a lot like how a trojan works. It starts with one file and moves on to the others, deleteing or destroying them as it goes. If that's the case, then it should have only destroyed your system files. Reinstalling windows as a repair/fresh copy should restore the system without removing any of your important files.

Hope that helps.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 20 12-07-2003 , 08:18 PM
Subscriber
Ok, real Darkware here. The reason I registered another name is because I could have sworn I saw a thread a few months ago talking about how if you were a subscriber you couldn't log in from another ISP because the user "Darkware" could have given his username and password out to someone just to download VIP movies. If you log in from another ISP, the SM server would think that. Oh well, maybe I'm dreaming.

Well, I still am unable to copy anything to the A drive. I can navigate through my computer is dos, but can't open anything obviously. I called Gateway and left a message requesting some information about obtaining a Windows Install CD. Still waiting for a reply as of now.

As for the theory of my crash being the result of a virus, I don't know how that could have happened because I don't download many things. Simply Maya movies and some midi's from time to time and occasionally a popular application, but nothing like weird e-mails with strange files attached to them. I'm fairly carefull about that sort of stuff and run Norton Antivirus as well.

*sigh*

# 21 12-07-2003 , 10:30 PM
Make sure theres a disk in A: drive user added image

Anyways, I can't see why SM would care if someone else downloads the vip videos. you payed for them and got a limited amount of points so once someone else downloads the vid, that person will use up your points.

MSN: cyborg_corporation@hotmail.com
AIM: RavagingOrc
# 22 13-07-2003 , 03:37 AM
Ahh. Gateway... There's your problem right there. user added imageuser added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 23 13-07-2003 , 05:25 AM
Subscriber
Yes HAL, there is in fact a floopy in he A drive and I made absolutely sure it had no other data on it before I tried writing to it.

And I believe all a person would have to do is download VIP videos that have already been downloaded by the user. You can download the same video more than once and not have to pay twice or three times. Only problem with doing that though is if you download the same videos repeatedly, SM will probably see you doing so.

# 24 13-07-2003 , 08:47 PM
Subscriber
Microsoft Windows that is the main problem :-)

Question???- I have 2 HD's. One obviously has the System files and the other has all my data. I recently duplicated my data on to the C drive as well. So I have the same data on both HD's.

Do you think my data is SAFE!!! Or should I burn it all to CD as well????

grrrr
# 25 13-07-2003 , 11:45 PM
it's NEVER safe! you should definatley back up to CD as well. All it would take is one power spike/brown out to make you start to lose data! :o it's just not worth the risk.

Darkware: do you have access to another HD? even if it's a crappy old one? if so put that in and then copy the file there.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 26 14-07-2003 , 04:23 AM
Subscriber
Will BACKUP ASAP defietely by this weekednd :-(

grrrr
# 27 14-07-2003 , 04:44 PM
Subscriber
Yeah do like Pure Morning said and deffinitely back up your data on a CD. I can't stress how important this is now that I have lost all of mine.

And putting another HD in my machine probably would work, but I don't have one and couldn't do it anyway because I can't even get the thing open. It's bolted with these weird screws you can't unscew without a special tool I suppose. Can I hook two seperate computers together with one of those links you use to easily transfer data back and forth and use it?

# 28 14-07-2003 , 04:46 PM
You think you have problems.......at least your computer doesnt have DOG PISS IN IT!!!!!!!!

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow