Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 15-07-2003 , 05:02 PM
Yea, I saw went to something like that a few years back in disney world. It was kinda cheesy, but they may have gotten better since then.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 17 17-07-2003 , 07:55 AM
Finding Nemo won't come to theaters here until November 27th... It's just not fair :'(

But it's cool? Could've expected that... been on the website almost on a daily basis user added image

Pixar rocks! But ofcourse, the guys who made Ice Age, Shrek and Ants are not too bad either user added image

# 18 19-07-2003 , 07:27 PM
I really loved all the subtle references in Shrek that only older audience members would have caught while young children would likely have missed them. Also, I don't feel Pixar produces "kiddie" oriented films. They just have a different style than Shrek did. I thought Shrek was more like the older Warner/loony-tunes cartoons, where you enjoy it for the obvious stuff as a kid, then you notice all these subtle little ques that only as an adult you would appreciate.

"In the end it all comes down to 0 and 1"
# 19 20-07-2003 , 01:56 AM
hey,.. don't you think that Ice Age is kinda simmilar to the shrek's story... i wonder.....
as a whole thing i mean,... i even got a little pissed-of of the ice age... "how dare they copy Shrek's storry??!!"
hmmm......~~~~~

# 20 21-07-2003 , 04:45 PM
Subscriber
Went to Universal Orlando, FL first week in May and saw the building that Shrek 4 is going to be in, but it wasn't open when we were there. Looking forward to that and the movie as well!

Loved the first one!

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn’t have time to build it to scale or to paint it"
:: Dr. Emmett Brown
# 21 26-07-2003 , 07:25 PM
waiting for it

# 22 26-07-2003 , 07:27 PM
The Maya Mountain

Originally posted by LSphinx
hey,.. don't you think that Ice Age is kinda simmilar to the shrek's story... i wonder.....
as a whole thing i mean,... i even got a little pissed-of of the ice age... "how dare they copy Shrek's storry??!!"
hmmm......~~~~~

Hmm, can't say I noticed much similarity in Shrek and Ice Age's storyline.

# 23 06-08-2003 , 04:22 PM
Ice Age was bad IMO.. didnt like it

Shrek 1 was great but i dont really understand why they make a second part.. I've read the plot and its not that spectacular.. so i hope the humor is good.

Guess dreamworks is out of ideas ATM; shrek 2 and a copy of finding nemo coming up (sharkslayer)

# 24 18-08-2003 , 05:46 PM
i cant say i agree with you guys much... Final Fantasy Spirits Within was possibly one of the greatest movie moments of my life... the models and environments and intriqousy of the storyline are simply amazing, Square did an amazing job on the film and it stays in 1st place in my top 10 movies evarrrr award.

on that note.... user added image look out for a movie called "Sanity" i am making user added image

# 25 18-08-2003 , 06:03 PM
Subscriber
That looks good, but to be controversial I would say one of the disappointments for me with CG is when they try too hard to replace real people - the FF film was wide of the mark for me as real actors could have done it better. And it struck me that the Director spent less time thinking of the 'direction' than how to make the CG look good.

I suppose I am old fashioned but I just don't find digital people in films like FF have the same emotional depth and subtlety as real actors, whereas digital cartoons like Shrek or Monsters Inc can go there as they are doing something different. And a donkey isn't expected to have the same range of expression and nuance as a real person so it all has to come out in the script and the direction. I think in trying to make the people 'real' they missed the fact that a silent human movie can convey emotion, and in fact I think I have seen silent animated shorts that did it better.

As a piece of CG FF was very impressive, but in competition for greatest movie I don't think it would even make my top 20 films, particularly in terms of the plot and some of the script, which was incredibly cheesy. Not to be picky but you talk about 'models, environment and storyline' for me great cinema doesn't prioritise in that order.

There are films with no SFX at all that bat it out of the water; I don't think a film needs CG to be any good. In fact I'd say of the last 10 films I have seen the biggest let downs have been the ones that thought CG was a substitute for plot, wit, direction, script, meaning and depth. For me a few huge explosions and impressive sfx don't make an interesting film. But to each their own and as something showcasing what CG can do FF was interesting enough.

Last edited by Witchy; 18-08-2003 at 06:05 PM.
# 26 19-08-2003 , 01:04 PM
if you're talking about T3 being a let-down with all it's CG and crap. you would mostly be wrong... most things in T3 (yes including the robots) were actually real. arnie smashing through the walls suspended by a moving crane... yep. all real. the explosions were added in afterwards of course user added image.

however saying that people need to do stuff real instead of using CG would be stupid, they do things in CG because if they did it in real life, the actors would probably end up dead.

# 27 19-08-2003 , 05:01 PM
Subscriber
>>if you're talking about T3 being a let-down with all it's CG and crap. you would mostly be wrong

Kind of you to say so, but I wasn't.

>>however saying that people need to do stuff real instead of using CG would be stupid

If I was saying that it might be.

You missed actually calling me dumb btw, try harder next time user added image

Last edited by Witchy; 19-08-2003 at 05:26 PM.
# 28 19-08-2003 , 10:40 PM
ok ok now calm down.

I love CG movies, and i am glad that we can get realy cool special effects do to CG. The only thing i dont like is when you have a movie like Martix: Reloaded, most of the movie, the CG is either amazingly realistic, or is AMAZING, but cant be realistic, because thing like that dont exist. (IE: the twins) But waht realy bugs me... is whenyou have a movie like that, and then all of a sudden there is a scene with crappy or obvious CG. (IE: neo v. 100 Smiths)

That bugs me.

Wo0t Shrek!

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 29 19-08-2003 , 11:00 PM

Originally posted by Witchy
You missed actually calling me dumb btw, try harder next time user added image

lol you misunderstand user added image i wasnt calling you dumb at all... was just saying that to make a statement.

# 30 20-08-2003 , 01:27 PM
Subscriber
>>lol you misunderstand

For someone not calling me dumb you spend a lot of time telling me what I don't understand :p