Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 30-07-2003 , 12:29 PM

New to Simply Maya - First Project.

Hey guys, what a cool site!
Im learning Maya, my first project is a 1981 Delorean.

Heres what I got so far, Still alot of work to do.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 30-07-2003 , 12:31 PM
Pic 2

Attached Images
# 3 30-07-2003 , 12:32 PM
Pic 3

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 30-07-2003 , 03:48 PM
cool you've got a good start there, I was just looking on CGtalk and somebody else has just done one of these as a modelling excercise.

A car is not necessarily the easiest first project to take on but good luck anyways

user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 5 31-07-2003 , 02:47 AM
Heres a little update.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 31-07-2003 , 12:37 PM
Just looked at the one on CGtalk, its amazing!

Kinda makes me feel like im wasting my time doing this when its already been done. And to such a high standard, far beyond my skill level.

# 7 31-07-2003 , 12:53 PM
Subscriber
It's hard to be original when doing vehicles, but you can always put your personal touch to it, and no two ever looks the same. I see it as practice, a means to get better, not as a challenge to do the best M1A1 or whatever on the net.

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 8 31-07-2003 , 12:57 PM
Yours is the best anyway mate! It rocks!

I guess your right matey, lets see what this months challenge is and I may put it on hold for abit.

I have been having alot of problems with my blueprints too so thats got me quite annoyed with it.

# 9 31-07-2003 , 01:09 PM
I though the CGtalk one was good but it didnt look real, it looked like a high quality game model to me (which isnt a bad thing!) dont ever give up cause someone is better than you! my god if that were true then we'd all take one look at CG talk and go get a job application form for MacDonalds! user added image you need to realise that not all of CG is about modellers and I think that that fact sometimes gets a bit forgotten... Im not a modeller by any stretch of the imgination but I do other things quite well. Find your strengths.... user added image hell I sound like a wise old man... user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 10 31-07-2003 , 01:13 PM
Right then, Im going to finish this model if it kills me lol

Thanks for the advice Alan, I think starting out with a car as my first project was abit to much. But I guess I wont know if it is to much until I have tryed as hard as I can.

Stay tuned for more progress.

# 11 01-08-2003 , 02:54 AM
Subscriber
very impressive for a first project. hell, impressive for a second, third, fourth...

I stay away from anything that looks realistic.. I find it way too hard to get the proportions close enough... thats why I tip my cap to you my brother!

keep up the good work.

# 12 01-08-2003 , 03:08 AM

Originally posted by howardporter
I find it way too hard to get the proportions close enough...

that's what blueprints are foruser added image and lots & lots & lots or reference photos to make up for things the BPs don't show you. it's too bad Maya can't just take the blueprints and make a car automatically. maybe i'll email Alias & ask about that:p

the car's looking pretty good, but i think the edges need to be sharpened up on the bottom edge all across the car, especially near the front. keep at ituser added image

Car-maker.
Check out my releases for RACER.
see the WWW button
# 13 04-08-2003 , 03:07 AM
No updates for abit, Im playing around with diffrent ways of doing the car.
Just getting us to Maya too.
Any C&C about car design would be great F50 (God of cars) :p