Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 13-12-2003 , 01:26 AM

How do you join NURBS surfaces?

Ok, I made an awesome car in Maya, with Subdivs (which rule). At that point, I had to perform some booleans on the shapes, so I converted the subdiv to NURBS. When I do this, it breaks the object up into many small NURBS surfaces. This would be fine, except when I render, the seams between the surfaces are visible, which is uncool.

So how do I connect/join/weld/union/whatever these NURBS surfaces back together, to get rid of those seams?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I have tried the union function under the NURBS menu, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Last edited by mrdarklight; 13-12-2003 at 01:31 AM.
# 2 13-12-2003 , 01:44 AM
The Maya Mountain
You won't be able to attach them together. That's the limitation of NURBS. If it looks ok in your view, but is faceted in the render, that means you need to increase your tessellation for all your pieces.

The quick, easy way to do this is to select them all and go to Window > General Editors > Attribute Spreadsheet.

Click on the Tessellation tab.

You'll want to play with the settings, but the settings I use is to turn Explicit Tessellation (also called Advanced Tessellation) ON. Curvature Tolerance to HIGH quality. Use Chord Hieght Ratio OFF.

# 3 13-12-2003 , 02:31 AM
Ah, I see. Thanks for the tip.