Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 06-12-2003 , 06:19 AM
Been a few days but I think I've got a few things figured out. First, I've settled on a case, I think. The Raidmax Scorpio 868 Mini Tower. Nice design and sturdy. Also, I may go for the Abit Nf7 MOBO as it's fairly inexpensive and does more than I can imagine. Processor is another thing. As I'm on a budget, the Athlon XP 2500+ Barton may be out of the question. Any suggestions for a processor that might be as good? I'm not planning on doing any overclocking for a while. With my luck, I'll burn out the CPU and then I'm out $80 or $90. The hardest part I'm having (other than the fact the wife isn't as supportive as I'd like) is deciding on a graphics card. I saw a fairly cheap 256 MB nVidia card but would I be just as well off with a 128 MB card? Just a few thoughts... user added image

Russell

Russell Bolding
CEO/Founder - Russelltopia Studios
Web:https://www.russelltopia.com
Email:russbo@russelltopia.com
# 17 06-12-2003 , 10:21 AM
Subscriber
tsk, tsk, tsk...
P4 this, athlon that, 512 mb vs 256 blah blah, 40 gig hd this, 80 gig that:o
if u really are on a budget (like i was) u can get a sturdy professional DCC rig for about $600. i dunno if ur machine will be like a home pc/workstation... but
i use :
Dual PIII 1.0ghz
1.5 gig ram (133 :thumbsdownuser added image
nVidia Quadro 4 750 xgl
40 gig hd (10k rpm) + 16 gig hd for OS
and the usual suspects, 19 inch monitor, floppy, 48x cdrom etc
running on RH linux 9
man , maya flies on this bad boy, apple shake (for linux)
crossover office so i can run Photoshop, AE.
now that is all i use this machine for, no music , dvds etc, so altho its a PIII, all the resources are kinda optimized for animation and compositing. so there is no need to upgrade or spend $1000 (in ur case 800+) for another machine that will probably run the same as what i have now.
so my suggestion, go to ebay, find a good dual PIII1.0 ghz then buy 1-2gig of ram and maybe more storage and save over $$$$400.

# 18 07-12-2003 , 04:40 PM
Got a new question... are there any websites that allow one to compare parts for compatibility? Don't wanna make any mistakes whilst I build my monster. user added image

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 19 07-12-2003 , 08:44 PM
Subscriber
Gosh wouldn't that be nice. I've had to download practically every manual for every component that I am considering buying and check compatibility.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 20 08-12-2003 , 08:23 PM
Make sure your keyboard comes with the ANY KEY. Sometimes people just go out and by their 'puter not knowing any better and when asked to hit any key the can't find it. And it is a pain in the ass to find the shortcut keys around it if you dont have one. user added image

Other than that, if you're going to be using this PC for MAYA then you'll need a minimum of 512MB RAM to get it to work properly. I suggest 1GB if its within your budget. Maybe sacrifice the DVD Burner for more RAM? You'll thank yourself in the long run. user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 21 11-12-2003 , 12:25 AM
Erm... are there cheap, good 1 GB RAM chips out there? Hmmmm... that sounds like a commercial for a new snack...

"They're cheap, they're good... they're 1 GB Memory Chips!... Salted and Unsalted! user added image With a hint of cheese." :p

Seriously, I can do without a few things, I think. I may see about getting a DVD burner for Christmas and I think I can get away with a 40 GB hard drive. I'm just stuck on the other parts. I know you guys are getting sick of me going around in circles here but this is my first BYOC and... oh phooey! LOL! Okay, here's the thing. I would like to have a decicated Maya PC but I also want a gaming PC. I know I can't and shouldn't serve two masters but I may have to. Once again, can someone tell me a great MOBO, CPU, and graphics card? Sorry y'all.. I'll shut up soon... user added image

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 22 13-12-2003 , 07:13 PM
Subscriber
Yes there are some good 1gb chips, they won't be the fastest in the world but will make up for that in pure size. I've no idea how well a dual P3 will handle Maya so i'll bow down to Vladimirjp's knowledge on this. He makes a good point, well worth looking into the ebay side of things.

www.snipersupplies.co.uk
# 23 15-12-2003 , 08:52 PM
Can you set me right, Slotted Pig? What would you reccommend? BTW, I just picked up a 16.00 CDRW drive. :::pats himself on the back:::

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 24 15-12-2003 , 08:53 PM
That was... ::: pats himself on the back ::: Not :::pats... LOL!

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 25 16-12-2003 , 04:41 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Russell
Erm... are there cheap, good 1 GB RAM chips out there? Hmmmm... that sounds like a commercial for a new snack...

"They're cheap, they're good... they're 1 GB Memory Chips!... Salted and Unsalted! user added image With a hint of cheese." :p

Seriously, I can do without a few things, I think. I may see about getting a DVD burner for Christmas and I think I can get away with a 40 GB hard drive. I'm just stuck on the other parts. I know you guys are getting sick of me going around in circles here but this is my first BYOC and... oh phooey! LOL! Okay, here's the thing. I would like to have a decicated Maya PC but I also want a gaming PC. I know I can't and shouldn't serve two masters but I may have to. Once again, can someone tell me a great MOBO, CPU, and graphics card? Sorry y'all.. I'll shut up soon... user added image

Russell

Motherboard: ASUS "P4S8X-X" $62
Processor: Intel Pentium 4/ 2.4C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology $162
Memory: Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-2700 $77

Not sure about the graphics card... maybe a Radeon 9000Pro for around $150.

Of course, you'll need a hard disk drive and a case...

Anyways check out newegg.com for good prices (they have a decent clearout section).

# 26 17-12-2003 , 08:23 AM
wow... just reading this thread has been an education in itself...well with some questions for pony.... LOL

I can hardly wait to see how this comes out....

get this puppy built Russell....

I want to know how well it rocks.....*S*

"Si vis pacem para bellum" if you desire peace, prepare for war.
# 27 17-12-2003 , 09:51 AM
Subscriber
Just a quick note for Russell:

I highly recommend getting a P4 processor with the "Hyperthreading" technology. This is Intels new idea which basically lets a single P4 act as a dual processor... i.e. it does twice the work. Your applications will see 2 processors... excellent for rendering!

# 28 18-12-2003 , 10:44 PM
As my life would have it, I'm in a hurry but I wanted to chime in with a response to the last few posts...

To Mr./Miss Girl... user added image
I just got my case today and I bought a 52X24X52 CDRW Drive for about $16 at Office Max, I got my 19" monitor from Overstock.com for $140, and I just got my case today - Raidmax Scorpio 868 for about $68. It's coming together slowly but at least I can touch the "skin" of my beloved "Russbo 3000 Semi-Supercomputer and Toaster Oven". Now...

Mr. Huxley,
On the P4 HT thing - I'd LOVE to have one of those. I've read tons about it but with my budget (and with the Queen (wife) dictating where a lot of that budget can go), a P4 HT CPU is out. I've heard a lot about the Athlon XP "Barton" deal but haven't settled on a choice yet - that one's looking pretty good right about now as I'm planning on ordering at least the MOBO tonight and maybe the CPU this weekend or next week at the latest. Any ideas? What's comperable to an HT Pentium in an Athlon?

Gotta run. Work beckons then I have to pick up the wife from her slave hole in the wall. banghead: Thanks, everyone, for all of you great insight and assistance in this great adventure! user added image user added image : Cheers to you all!

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 29 22-12-2003 , 06:56 PM
Subscriber
The Athlon series don't really have anything like HT, unless you look at the Athlon64's. At which point your into the higher price bracker again. Pentiums do have a advantage performance wise, but they can't match Athlons in terms of price. If your not interested in overclocking i'd look at getting lots of memory and the fastest Athlon, Barton version as its the newest and fastest, you can. As you say the rest you can build up as time and money allow. Remember you can ADD more memory or hard drives, but you have to REPLACE the processor so it pays in the long term to get the best you can afford.

www.snipersupplies.co.uk
# 30 22-12-2003 , 07:25 PM
Hi ho... user added image

Okay. The good news is I just purchased my MOBO and it's the Nf7 and on its way from BuyXtremeGear.com. Looking forward to putting that baby in. I found it for $69, including the S/H charges so, thus far, here's my tally on parts, etc...

19" monitor - $140
Raidmax Scorpio 868 mid-tower case (yellow) - $68
Pacific Digital Mach 52X CDRW drive - $16
Abit Nf7 MOBO - $63

So, now, it's time to get that cpu and at a good price. I have found one under $85 bucks and the site looks reputable. Any other places you guys know of where I can get the same cpu? How much extra cooling do I really need on the cpu AND motherboard? My case has the ability to add 7 fans at once so would that suffice? I may add a blowhole fan someday soon too for added cooling. Also, I may have found my graphics card online but I'm worried it won't work well or at all with Maya... the ATI Radeon 9600 XT. It has 128 MB of memory and uses quad rendering engines among other things. I'm really excited about getting it. It's going to be $156 once I get the $$$ for it so we'll see. Has anyone heard of this card? Gotta blast. Thanks guys and if I don't respond again til after the holidays, y'all have a very safe and happy Christmas! user added image

Russell

Russell Bolding