Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 04-01-2004 , 12:54 PM

Windos How tos help

Im wondering how to:

1 Configure the "windows explorer" to always start on a diferent place from the default(my documents), lets say i want it to start pointing to c:\ to save 2 clicks every time i want to do something

2 Bind the "show desk"? quick start icon to a hot key (right button->properties doesnt shows the command used when you click it)

3 Make windows restart its local net recognition features after you disconnected the hub from the internet and turned off the firewall without having to restart the damn pc...

Last edited by dragonfx; 04-01-2004 at 01:24 PM.
# 2 04-01-2004 , 10:22 PM

2 Bind the "show desk"? quick start icon to a hot key (right button->properties doesnt shows the command used when you click it)

create a shortcut to that icon and put it somewhere inside the start menu. Then open the properties of that shortcut and under "Shortcut Key" enter any 1 letter or number, and then click ok. Now if you hold down "Control" + "Alt" and press that same letter or number you will run the shortcut. You can do the same thing with any other shortcut in your start menu (for example I open Maya with Control+Alt+M, and photoshop with control+alt+P).

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

:tup:
# 3 04-01-2004 , 11:38 PM
Thanks nightphantom, creating a shortcur to the shortcut worked... I knew someday i could use some of those annoying logitek keyboard lots of function buttons to make something useful... (now if i only could remember where i putted what without attaching stickers to the keyboarduser added image...)

btw for all: im in desperate need for a local network restart command(nº3) there must be something windows starts at the begining to locate other systems that the firewall prevents, and doesnt runs again when the firewall is off (i only can locate em starting with the firewall off) And i have variable ip´s so i cant configure the firewall to let it pass

# 4 05-01-2004 , 12:22 AM

# 5 07-01-2004 , 05:01 AM
Subscriber

Re: Windos How tos help

Originally posted by dragonfx
1 Configure the "windows explorer" to always start on a diferent place from the default(my documents), lets say i want it to start pointing to c:\ to save 2 clicks every time i want to do something

I've set mine to open on My Computer... but I can't remember how I did it!

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 6 07-01-2004 , 05:35 AM
I remmeber seeing the answer to number one somewhere, but because it's not a problem for me I never bother to read it all. But I think you can find it here https://www.tweakxp.com/

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

# 7 07-01-2004 , 06:37 PM
thnx again nightphantom found the tip there...

didnt found a response to nº3 but i believe it has to do with this windows service(that the firewall must be screwing up at start):
"F:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs"
it would be nice to be able to make a batchfile that stopped it and the restarted it with just one click...
do you know how can one kill that service with a command line?

# 8 07-01-2004 , 11:06 PM
Have a few problems too.

1. How can i make IE window that are shift-clicked will the screen. I currently have to manually maximize.

2. The status bar on Folders and IE has gone. Bit annoying to keep selecting Status Bar via the View Menu.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 9 08-01-2004 , 04:41 AM

Originally posted by NightPhantom
create a shortcut to that icon and put it somewhere inside the start menu. Then open the properties of that shortcut and under "Shortcut Key" enter any 1 letter or number, and then click ok. Now if you hold down "Control" + "Alt" and press that same letter or number you will run the shortcut. You can do the same thing with any other shortcut in your start menu (for example I open Maya with Control+Alt+M, and photoshop with control+alt+P).

Hmmmm. I can't get it to work. Is that the Start menu or the Start Up menu?

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 10 08-01-2004 , 08:16 PM

Originally posted by dave_baer
Hmmmm. I can't get it to work. Is that the Start menu or the Start Up menu?

It's the "start" menu, not the "startup" folder. If you leave the shortcut inside the startup folder it will be executed every time you start your computer (and you probably don't want that...)
Try using a shortcut that is already in the start menu, like notepad or the calculator. Sometimes I have found that I have to restart my computer before it works (that happen when I had already assigned a key to another shortcut and I forget to clear the first one before assigning it to a second one..)

Also, here's a screenshot of my shortcut to photoshop. Notice it says "Control + Alt + P", but when chossing the key I only press P and windows adds the Control + Alt part. (I do have to hold down control + Alt when I want to run photoshop though. This shortcut is the very same created by photoshops instalation inside my start menu, but it could be a shortcut created by myself, it makes no difference.

Attached Images

# 11 09-01-2004 , 04:11 AM
Yeah, I did that, Still doesn't work. I can set the option, and I rebooted, but still doesn't work. Ah well. Maybe it's an XP thing?

BTW: I noticed that you're in Florida. Where abouts? I'm in Miami Beach. user added image

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 12 09-01-2004 , 04:33 AM
Just an FYI for the "Show the Desktop" issue, it has always been there in the right-click menu.

Just right-click on the task bar, and choose "Show the Desktop" user added image

No need for making other shortcuts, unless you choose to hide the bar.

Also, to maximize an IE window just hit F11 user added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 13 09-01-2004 , 05:05 AM
I'm in Tampa

# 14 09-01-2004 , 06:50 AM

Just an FYI for the "Show the Desktop" issue, it has always been there in the right-click menu.

And there's a shortcut in the windows taskbar at the bottom. Usually the first on on the left. Looks like a little desk pad with a pad of paper and a pencil on it.

user added image

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 15 14-01-2004 , 01:16 AM
Yep. Tho, I deleted those when I rebuilt my machine so I forgot about thatoneuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com