Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 46 01-04-2007 , 08:10 PM
Could you post what the problem is?

also you might have bits of connected nodes that are floating about, clogging up your scene, have a look in the outliner to see if theres lots of unused nodes, if there arre delete them, if they take away bits of geo then select the geo and delete the history, then you should be able to delete the offending nodes.

I had lots of unused nodes when I started off, and couldent figure out where they came from, that used to kill my PC too!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 47 01-04-2007 , 08:50 PM
all the nodes in the outliner appear to be in use, although there are now alot of cylinders from all the bumps.

ok well when i render the scene without the bumps visible i get this image attached....

However when i simply make the bump layer visible again it just stops at a blue screen pic in 2nd post

Attached Thumbnails
# 48 01-04-2007 , 08:54 PM
it fails when trying to compute final gather points? and ends up with just this

Attached Thumbnails
# 49 02-04-2007 , 02:50 PM
nobody have an idea why maya fails when trying to compute the final gather points when the platter bumps layer is visible but works correctly when it is not?

this is a very annoying problem and It would be nice if i could finish off this scene fully with 2 turntables and a mixer as i dont want to hvae to just leave it as it is with the one turntable. and m stumped at what could be wrong..user added image

# 50 02-04-2007 , 05:35 PM
ok now its telling me that mental ray has run out of memory....hmmm so i guess thats what it is then.

weird since id have thought my 2GB of ram and 2.33Ghz processor would have been enough for this kinda of scene?

will it solve the problem to light the scene with normal lights and not the HRD and render using maya software?

cheers

# 51 02-04-2007 , 06:34 PM
ok maya just crashes and quits when rendering the whole scene with maya software. i think im fighting a loosing battle with this one....

# 52 02-04-2007 , 06:52 PM
Jr.Who
Can you post a pic of your FG settings?

# 53 02-04-2007 , 07:14 PM
ok here are the final gather settings that was being used. My worry is that it still crashes using maya software with no FG?

Attached Thumbnails
# 54 02-04-2007 , 07:21 PM
Jr.Who
You might want to try changing the min and max radii. Do you know how to change them correctly?

Also, are you using GI (Global Illumination)?

# 55 02-04-2007 , 07:22 PM
Try importing the scene into a new scene and rendering from there.

You can cnahge the amount of memory mental ray can use, somewhere, but I cant remember where it is at all

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 56 02-04-2007 , 07:22 PM
I have no clue about min or max radii and no I wasnt using global illumination just raytrace and FG.

cheers

# 57 02-04-2007 , 07:27 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by rcb25
I have no clue about min or max radii and no I wasnt using global illumination just raytrace and FG.

cheers

Can you email me the scene? If you do, IÕll play around with it some, and try to figure out what the problem is. user added image

# 58 02-04-2007 , 07:31 PM
eh yeh i can. tho i was told that Maya PLE files wont work with normal maya? its also 163MB?

# 59 02-04-2007 , 07:38 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by rcb25
eh yeh i can. tho i was told that Maya PLE files wont work with normal maya? its also 163MB?

Holy crap! user added image How do you have a scene that big?! My biggest scene is 3.1 MB! Wait a sec, first: What format did you save it under? How many polys are there (Display>HUD>Poly Count, and then see how many faces there are)? And did you optimize the scene size (File>Optimize Scene Size)?

# 60 02-04-2007 , 07:45 PM
hahah well:

its a.mp file
there are 2238058 faces
just did the optimizing thing and its still the same size??

cheers for help