Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 46 11-05-2007 , 06:18 PM
I usually make up at least one word per year...

Thanks again for the pointers, Camel user added image

I was a wee bit quick and sloppy when I initially painted the lava, so I'll go back and redo it (more carefully).

More progress:

Attached Images

# 47 11-05-2007 , 07:23 PM
Paint

Attached Images

# 48 11-05-2007 , 07:28 PM
Subscriber
severinianthony, I was looking at your texturing and was wondeering what all those different color dots are? Is that your mixed colors pallet like a painter would use so you don't have to try and mix that color some more?

# 49 11-05-2007 , 07:33 PM
Close-up

Attached Thumbnails

# 50 11-05-2007 , 07:44 PM

Originally posted by Rhetoric Camel
severinianthony, I was looking at your texturing and was wondeering what all those different color dots are? Is that your mixed colors pallet like a painter would use so you don't have to try and mix that color some more?

Yes, I suppose you could call it a pallet user added image

Whenever I paint UV's, I keep a layer called "swatches;" on that layer, I keep colors I think I might use. Also, I keep colors I tend to use as base colors, so that if I apply filter/effects to the image, and any blending goes on, I can get my exact base color back.

EDIT:

Actually...looking back, I got rid of the previous saddle-cloth I was origionally doing, so those greens and purples aren't even needed anymore, lol...

# 51 11-05-2007 , 08:46 PM
Subscriber
thats a really cool idea, I've only UV'd once, with the freaky low poly model and I never even thought to save my paint colors off to the side like that.

# 52 12-05-2007 , 06:13 PM
Redone the yellows and oranges on the lava; looks a bit better.

Attached Images

# 53 12-05-2007 , 06:15 PM
Brightened up the saddle-cloth rings.

Attached Images

# 54 12-05-2007 , 06:15 PM
Most of you should be happy you're not near me while I paint this...I spontaneously erupt in bouts of otherworldly cackling, at the most innapropriate of times...

Attached Thumbnails

# 55 12-05-2007 , 07:12 PM
Subscriber
this looks great

one thing i do notice though is there isn't a lot of contrast. the blanket on the back of the horse just kinda fades in with the rest of it...all of the colors are very similar, and kinda monotonous. you break it up on the head and the feet, but the bulk of the horse doesn't really draw attention.
the gold looks great on the bridle (is that the right word?) and it fits in well with the other colors, maybe add some gold to the saddle, or the blanket to break it up a bit? or just lighten up the mat so it contrasts a bit more with the saddle and body

# 56 12-05-2007 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber
the yellow and orange are looking great. Looks better than I imagined it looking in my head, good work there. Also have to kind of agree with errethakbe, adding a little more color to the body or the saddle will help bring out the body of the horse. Color suggestions, I have none this time.

I'm like you when I sit here for an hour with only clicking the mouse and hitting the alt button and cntrl-z over and over I start to get a little crazy, make a loud noise real quick, spaz out real quick like I'm having a small seizure, take a half hour smoke break... working on a computer no matter how much you love what you're doing will make you do funny things like laugh hysterically to your self for no reason, should see me when I'm working on my Dodge Viper model, haha.

# 57 13-05-2007 , 12:16 AM
I think there seams to be a big difference in the level of detail between the feet and the rest. To me it looks like the feet need more attention. Other than that It looks cool.user added image

Life is a funny thing,
Beauty is a blossom,
If you want to get your finger bit...
Poke it at a Possum.
# 58 13-05-2007 , 01:49 PM
@ errethakbe

Thanks! Something that I've been rather slow about picking up, is that having greater contrast is getting me closer to what I want in the model.

@ Rhetoric

Thanks again; the lava is looking much better.

After this, and all my homework, I finally cracked this morning, at 3 AM (it's now 8:20 AM); I just laughed for no reason what-so-ever...and when I got to sleep, I had a strange dream. I might give the horse a bit of a break for the rest of this week, and come back to it once my finals are done.

@ sandman

The feet need more attention? Yeesh, I thought the lava did it for the feet, and the rest of the model was in need of more attention :p

I suppose I could lighten up the highlights on the "stones" of the feet ("stones," as in the dark sections between the lava).

Thanks for all the comm/crit's user added image

# 59 13-05-2007 , 05:12 PM
Highlighted the stones between the lava a bit more, and pushed the red horse "hair" to be more contrastish.

Attached Images

# 60 13-05-2007 , 05:13 PM
Changed the red saddle-cloth color to a yellow-orange...

Attached Images